Problem to show a WFS with EPSG 31370 in an ArcGIS Online Web Map

Jump to solution
04-13-2023 01:24 AM
GeraardsbergenGIS
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm trying to add a WFS to a Web Map but when the WFS is shown, it has problems with the projection.

The WFS is in Lambert 72 (EPSG:31370) but since ArcGIS Online uses WGS84 (EPSG:4326) it requests geographic coordinates in degrees. The MercatorNet Geoserver, which hosts the WFS, is currently configured to round off the geographic coordinates at about 4 decimals.

For the Lambert 72 projection this doesn't cause any problems, since the coordinates are in meters anyway (rounding off at about 4 decimals in this case means an estimated margin of error of about <0.00005 meters).  However for the WGS84 projection in ArcGIS Online, rounding off at about 4 decimals in degrees, means an estimated margin of error of about <5.5 meters!)

So while the polygons of this WFS should normally look fluent and follow the boundaries of the surrounding parcels, when I import them in my Web Map these features look messy and angular. 

This problem only occurs with the WFS, when I use the WMS of the same service, everything looks fine. But because I would like to change the symbology and clip the data on the boundaries of my city, I prefer not to use the WMS.

Here's the WFS: https://mercator.vlaanderen.be/raadpleegdienstenmercatorpubliek/lu/lu_bpa_ct/ows?service=wfs&version...

My Web Map: https://gbergen.maps.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=85b1662a2d7b402fb2478b017088daaa

You can see the difference between the WFS and the WMS in the printscreens attached or in my Web, when you compare the layers "WMS Mercator - BPA" and "WFS BPA (DSI-Contouren).

Is there any solution or workaround for this?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Ingmar

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RoelandPledts
New Contributor II

Ingmar,

did you try adding the webmap anyway to a web map application? 

I just added the omv_vk's to my web map, and got the same (bad) result of the geometry (I do think it has to do with the resolution of both crs, like you said).

I added it anyway to my web map application, and seems like my geometry runs out great?! 

I used the next wfs: https://mercator.vlaanderen.be/raadpleegdienstenmercatorpubliek/lu/lu_omv_vk/wfs 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JerryBartz
Occasional Contributor

In ArcPRO have you tried increasing the number of decimal places. I don't know if this will work, but you could  export the your feature to a new feature. Open the attribute table of the duplicated feature. Use the Field View to increase the number of decimal places. Save and close the field view. Inspect your attribute to see if there are non zero values in the added decimal places..

Hope this helps. 

GeraardsbergenGIS
New Contributor II

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply.

When I load the WFS in ArcGIS Pro, the features are shown correctly so I didn't need to change the decimals. The problem with the boundaries only seems to occur in ArcGIS Online, when I try to load the features over there.

When I export the WFS features in ArcGIS Pro as new feature layers and publish them to ArcGIS Online, the boundaries remain unchanged.

So I guess doing it this way kinda solves the problem of the boundaries. However it's a pity that this WFS can't be used directly in ArcGIS Online and I have to publish everything to separate new features in ArcGIS Pro instead. Also now I will need to update everything manually while the WFS does that automatically.

My guess is that the Geoserver which hosts the WFS does not meet the OGC standards wich ArcGIS Online requires.

Greetings,

Ingmar

0 Kudos
RoelandPledts
New Contributor II

Ingmar,

did you try adding the webmap anyway to a web map application? 

I just added the omv_vk's to my web map, and got the same (bad) result of the geometry (I do think it has to do with the resolution of both crs, like you said).

I added it anyway to my web map application, and seems like my geometry runs out great?! 

I used the next wfs: https://mercator.vlaanderen.be/raadpleegdienstenmercatorpubliek/lu/lu_omv_vk/wfs 

GeraardsbergenGIS
New Contributor II

Hi Roeland,

Yes, you are right. Even though the geometry is shown incorrectly in a web map, when the WFS is used in a web mapping application, the boundaries align correctly.

I used the 'Experience builder' instead of a 'web mapping application' and unfortunately the problem stills occurs when I create a 'Web Experience'.

So even though the classic 'web mapping application' is a lot more limited in capabilities when compared to the 'Experience builder'; I guess I have no other choice than to revert back to the classic 'web mapping application'.

I do hope ESRI will fix this issue in the future, so I can use the 'Experience builder' instead of the 'web mapping application', when working with WFS.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Ingmar

0 Kudos