Overwritten Hosted Feature Layers Dropped from Maps

10-18-2021 06:57 AM
RandyMcGregor3
Occasional Contributor III

I have a web map that is feeding a dashboard. The map contains a single hosted feature layer. I overwrote that hosted feature layer - no errors, publish succeeded. The overwritten layer is fine. I can open it in the map viewer, and it looks like what I expect.

When I open the web map that contains this layer, I get an error message:

The layer, <layer name>, cannot be added to the map.

I can add the layer back into the web map, since there is nothing wrong with it at all (that I can see), but the dashboard will not 'see' the layer (even though it's the same layer) and will need to be reconfigured.

Is this a common problem? Has anyone else experienced this? If it is unique to our system, then I do not expect anyone to troubleshoot it here, but I am just asking in case there is a history of this problem I can learn from.

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I'm guessing the json is now out-of-sync.  Have you created an incident with ESRI tech support in regards to this issue?

0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor3

Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure what that means. I know what JSON is (sort of), but not sure how that information is tracked in this process. I noticed this happens with services published from layers within the ArcGIS Pro authoring document. I have map-shared layers that I am able to overwrite without this problem.

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
AndyWells
Occasional Contributor II

I am having the exact same problem. No error messages on my end, and this is the same layer I overwrite once a week so there is nothing substantially different. Still seems to display ok in existing maps but I can't add it to maps and I can't even see the data table for the layer in ArcGIS Online. ("There was an error.") I'll report it soon if it doesn't clear up.

0 Kudos
RandyMcGregor3

I think I've had that issue to - if I understand correctly - where the overwritten layer is corrupt? My current situation is different - the overwritten layer is fine, but the web map it is in rejects it for some reason and I need to reload it. Hosted feature layers appear to have stability issues. Something to do with tracking and keeping up with layer ids, I think.

0 Kudos
AndyWells
Occasional Contributor II

I was having your exact problem today along with other hosted layers that randomly presented errors. I went on to ESRI Support and reported an ArcGIS Online disruption. ESRI Support staff got back to me and after a couple hours asked me to clear the browsers cache and check things out. I did that and everything that was not working earlier today is now working fine. I'm not sure if it is/was a per-customer issue, or site-wide but you may want to clear your cache and try things out. If that doesn't work, definitely report it. Good luck!

0 Kudos