NO LONGER ABLE, to publish features with geonetworks associated

07-11-2022 07:28 AM
Labels (2)
MarkQuattlebaum
New Contributor II

This is not so much a question as an ongoing issue since the update of ArcGIS Online to 10.2.  To support the following, here are the case numbers so far created regarding this problem. Case #03090371 and case #03102366.

I am aware of a large number of other customers with the same or similar troubles since this last update.  It is disturbing the bug (BUG-000150632) created by ESRI support was summarily dismissed, knowing a large number of customers are affected. From a customer perspective, ArcGIS Online essentially is telling multiple customers we are lying when we say we used to be able to publish features that had geonetworks functionality.  Yes I am aware ArcGIS Online states we were never able to do such a thing, but I and many others were indeed able to do this, know full well the geonetworks piece was removed somehow upon publishing, which in our particular case, was not a problem.  For MANY years we WERE able to publish layers that had geonetworks functionality without an issue, until the 10.2 update.  During the 10.2 update, something broke, not allowing those features (or any other features in the dataset) to be published.  One by one the features that are not associated with geonetworks can be published, but the main, and most important layers cannot be. 

In my humble opinion, ArcGIS Online did not vet the update appropriately, and did not consider what this would do to customers.  While I'm not a developer, it seems any update would consider what the customer experience would be afterward, and would make sure current users would not see any adverse effects.

The 'work around' is severely time consuming and it appears a new wheel must be re-created with each and every update to the data, as well as the properties of the data for viewing.  Again, there may be a solution that this new case will bring forth.

In the meantime, the roll out of ArcGIS Online 10.2 had tragic results for us and I'm told many others.  If ArcGIS refuses to fix a problem that affects many users, at least acknowledge you messed up and provide a work around that doesnt take a day or two for each data update.

Very Frustrated User

7 Replies
MichaelMarcus
New Contributor III

I am having the same problem. To compound the issue the existing hosted features are deleted as well. The old service definition is only left behind. I use AGO to host all feature data consumed by our Cityworks online platform. I have been using this workflow for several years now. I use ArcMap because of the geometric network. 

When I reported this issues to ESRI I was given a work around and told that this is a known bug but it has been closed.

Currently we're not ready to switch to ArcPro and migrate to the Utility network but I guess that's the true solution. See partial email below...

Hello Michael,

There is a BUG that has been logged on July 7 for this issue and the bug number is : BUG-000150632
and the public status is known limit and the bug has been closed by them.

What I received from the Dev, they provide those workaround:

1.Make a copy of the geodatabase/container
    a.Delete the geometric network itself - which will leave the feature dataset and its containing objects intact
2.Add our copied dataset (without the geometric network) to the contents pane in ArcGIS for Desktop
3.Choose File > Share As > Service
4.Choose whichever is applicable
    a.Publish A Service
    b.Overwrite an Existing Service
5.Complete requirements for publishing
6.Publishes successfully

But I will try my best to discuss with our Tech Lead what we can do for this either reopen the bug or provide more efficient alternative.

.... It's not an answer but is more information. 

MarkQuattlebaum
New Contributor II

I have found an alternative, but currently testing to see if it holds true in the long run.  It involves importing data to a newly created fgdb, zipping it in file explorer, going to AGOL, creating 'New' and dropping the zipped file, choosing geodatabase rather than shapefile.  Apparently the geonetwork files do not come over during the import phase.  If they do, the zip phase fools the publish (from AGOL) and allows it in, then AGOL does all the service stuff once it gets there.

Again, still testing this to see if it holds true for overwrites, and doesn't corrupt the webmap.  Making sure the newly created fgdb is named the same thing each time should help. 

Sad they push their 'valued users' to do more work that they didn't have to do before.

No matter which way you go, its much more work and effort to do the same thing we could do easily a month or so ago.

Daniel_Schmidt
Esri Contributor

BUG-000150632 is in our product plan and will be addressed in a future release of ArcGIS Online.  Thanks for your patience with this one!

0 Kudos
FernandoMarin
New Contributor II

I'm having having the same issues, it seems that ESRI didn't care much about the users that upload geometric features to AGOL.  I contacted ESRI and their workaround (copying data basically) will add a lot of workload to our organization, taking in mind that we have several maps/data sets that get automatically uploaded via scripting that will need to be modified.  I really don't know why ESRI will get this 'bug' fixed now after so many years, when a lot of users depend to upload geometric network data to AGOL and haven't move to ArcGIS Pro.

MarkQuattlebaum
New Contributor II

It IS terribly disappointing how ESRI has handled this, I agree.  They don't even seem to care how they have affected users, even calling us liars that we have in the past been able to do this, knowing the geometric aspect of the data was automatically ripped out.  Very disappointed in ESRI and even more disappointed they don't even care.

0 Kudos
Daniel_Schmidt
Esri Contributor

BUG-000150632 is in our product plan and will be addressed in a future release of ArcGIS Online.  Thanks for your patience with this one!

0 Kudos
Daniel_Schmidt
Esri Contributor

This issue is now in the product plan to be addressed in a future release.  Thanks for your patience with this issue.

0 Kudos