Labels Show Up Extremely Tiny on ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
08-11-2022 07:28 AM
Labels (1)
LaurenWilkerson2
New Contributor II

Hello, We have some data on a SQL geodatabase that we publish as feature services (related & hosted) with fairly complex symbology through lyrx files in ArcGIS Pro. I have updated these services regularly without issue. However, recent updates have resulted in the labels of the published services showing up so extremely small they can hardly be seen.  Even when increasing the label size to the maximum allowed in ArcGIS Online (40pt) they are not readable.  I do not know what is causing this as they are showing up fine in ArcGIS Pro and none of the label settings were changed.  Republishing the service does not fix the issue.

Below - The tiny labels (circled in red) as they appear in ArcGIS Online

LaurenWilkerson2_0-1660223965817.png

Below - the labels as they appear in ArcGIS Pro

LaurenWilkerson2_1-1660224000471.png

I have tried comparing the settings between the affected layers and other layers where the labels are showing up normally and there do not seem to be any differences. Furthermore, every new layer I publish has the same issue, even the previously unaffected ones and ones taken directly from the SQL Database which should bypass any potential issues with the lyrx file. I have recently started working from home - could monitor settings, such as publishing from remote desktop with a scaled display cause this? I wouldn't think so, but nothing else has changed and some sort of cached display conversion value that is used in the process of publishing makes an odd sort of sense. Republishing from my normal computer and clearing the layer's cache did not help. Also, it is not just my computer - the labels are showing up this way for everyone.

Thank you for any ideas.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you change the expression in map viewer to this  and see if the labels work?

$feature["material"]
$feature["diameter"]
DomainName($feature,"diameter")+ " '" + DomainName($feature,"material")

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the web map?

0 Kudos
LaurenWilkerson2
New Contributor II

Well, this is awkward but apparently the problem only happens when publishing to our Enterprise/Portal version of ArcGIS Online.

If you still want to see the way the labels are supposed to appear, here's the public link: https://services3.arcgis.com/AWDwYUpli8WqpWxQ/arcgis/rest/services/Sewer_Gravity_Mains_Layer_Test/Fe... 

Edit: Here's a publicly shared link to the service on our Enterprise system, it is showing the small labels but I don't think people outside of our organization can access it: https://ags-hosted.sarasotafl.gov/arcgis/rest/services/Hosted/Sewer_Gravity_Mains_Layer_Test_Hosted/... 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This might be an issue with the 10,9.1 version of MV. Comparing your enterprise service in MV is working as expected. The only thing that would ask you to try is adding the layer as a service into map viewer and not through the item? I wonder if there is something in the layer item that could be setting the font size to the smaller size.

RussellRoberts1_0-1660232477629.png

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Investigated a little further and I can repro the issue in the 4.22 version of the JSAPI and it was fixed in 4.23 version.

RussellRoberts1_0-1660232770334.png

LaurenWilkerson2
New Contributor II

Awesome! How is the JSAPI updated? Can it be done by a user?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you change the expression in map viewer to this  and see if the labels work?

$feature["material"]
$feature["diameter"]
DomainName($feature,"diameter")+ " '" + DomainName($feature,"material")

LaurenWilkerson2
New Contributor II

That Worked! Thank you very much!