How to make raster background transparent in AGO map viewer

Jump to solution
08-17-2022 10:33 AM
Labels (1)
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

We have some drone imagery in TIFF format that we published to Enterprise from Pro and then shared to ArcGIS Online through a distributed collaboration. In the map viewer, the zero-value areas around the periphery of the drone imagery display as solid black areas.

In Pro, we can make the map display the zero values in the raster as transparent so that we can see the underlying basemap. Is it possible to do this in ArcGIS Online as well? 

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1660755851017.png

Thanks in advance!

- Holly
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ah ok, I'm more used to the interface for publishing to ArcGIS Online instead of Enterprise, but I'm pretty sure you would just select Tile under "Copy All Data" instead of "Reference Registered Data". Does that work for you?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Did you set the raster to display the zero values as transparent in Pro before publishing? I think if you do that, the black areas shouldn't display. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA

Hi @Katie_Clark. Thank you for your response!

We did set the raster to display zero values as transparent in Pro, but we couldn't publish the image from the TOC. For some reason the Share as Web Layer panel that opens when we right click on the layer in the TOC only gives us vector layer options. If we right click on the layer in the Catalog pane instead and select Share as Web Layer, then we get the imagery options as expected. If you have any idea what that's about, I'd love to hear it!

We tried exporting the layer with transparent zero values as a new image file hoping they would somehow be preserved, but that didn't work.

- Holly
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Oh interesting, I haven't encountered that. Just a guess, maybe it's something related to organization permissions? What type of role do you have in the organization?

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA

I'm an administrator, so I don't think it's a permissions thing.

- Holly
0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA

@Katie_Clark 

Here's what I see when I right click on a raster image in the TOC and select Sharing > Share as Web Layer:

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1660767522017.png

And here's what I see when I right click on the same layer in the Catalog Pane and select Share as Web Layer:

HollyTorpey_LSA_1-1660767650427.png

This is all within the same Pro session, same Pro project, both times with Enterprise as my active portal. I'm at a loss!

- Holly
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ah ok, I'm more used to the interface for publishing to ArcGIS Online instead of Enterprise, but I'm pretty sure you would just select Tile under "Copy All Data" instead of "Reference Registered Data". Does that work for you?

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
HollyTorpey_LSA

Well, that sort of worked. It did publish the image, but I can't seem to display it in conjunction with a basemap or any other data or zoom in past the initial display scale. So it's being weird, but maybe that has to do with my hasty configuration when I shared it just now as a test. I'll try again tomorrow with more care to see if it will work. Thanks for the suggestion.

- Holly
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

How many levels of tiles did you build when you were publishing? 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
FédérationQuébecoisedeKite
New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue. Looking forward to seeing how this is solved.

Judith

0 Kudos