Fuzzy/wildcard search for user management

08-20-2019 10:22 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is it possible to do a fuzzy/wildcard search in ArcGIS Online for users of an organisation? We end up having to add a few external users and differentiate them via their username e.g. John.Doe_ABCOrg. I'd like to be able to search for all users of ABCOrg. I've tried %ABCOrg and other variants but it doesn't seem to work. Ideally there'd be more of a fuzzy search for users as well as items/groups in ArcGIS Online.

5 Replies
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Mark,

Have you tried using * to search for wildcards?  This appeared to work for me in my Organization.  For example:  search for *_ABCOrg.  Hope this helps!

Best,

Marisa

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Marisa,

I've tried this and it doesn't seem to work. Searching for *_ABCOrg brings back all users when on the Members tab on the Organization page.

0 Kudos
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Mark,

It looks like I found the following enhancement that might address the issue you are seeing.

ENH-000119929: Provide wildcard search functionality that allows for members to be searched for based on unique member profile characteristics within a Portal for ArcGIS organization.

Is this what you were looking for?

Best,

Marisa

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't think that Enhancement really covers the issue and it's definitely an issue with ArcGIS Online. I haven't tried it in Portal. Any search for users in ArcGIS Online using * in front of the search term seems to pull back the full users list i.e. the search doesn't work. From the general search if I use * I get the following error:

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kelly Gerrow‌ is there any chance some sort of fuzzy logic/wildcard search could be implemented for management of users in AGOL/Portal? Or is there some option for this which I haven't come across?

Thanks