Features move 3 feet when shared to ArcGIS Online, does not retain original location

12-08-2021 06:40 AM
Labels (2)
AlexanderLynch2
New Contributor III

I have a GDB set in local coordinate system on ArcGIS Pro map. I then shared map to ArcGIS online [reprojected to Spherical Mercator] and turn on feature editor tracking and sync. Next, I imported original GDB and ArcGIS Online Services URL to data warehouse [FME]. Manipulated coordinate system to match and compared geometry of same feature. It resulted with NW shift of 3 feet. When surveying centimeter-grade, this shift is unacceptable.

Is there a best practice to retain feature's original geometry when sharing to ArcGIS Online then back to GDB???

Image below:
ArcGIS Online Features -- brownish-red line and point
File GDB Features -- green line and point

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @AlexanderLynch2 thanks for this post. If I'm understanding this right, you're comparing the location of points from the following two workflows:

• Published hosted feature layer from ArcGIS Pro
  • Original FGDB
    • You're comparing the hosted feature layer published from Pro to the original FGDB and noticing the discrepancy of three feet.  
    • Is this right or am I misinterpreting/missing something here?

We would like to get this to a Support analyst to take a closer look at the data and workflow involved. Let me know and I can get a case going for you. In the meantime, would you be able to attach a zipped file geodatabase with some sample data?

Thanks,

-Peter 

0 Kudos
AlexanderLynch2
New Contributor III

Yes. You are correct. But rather than publishing hosted feature layer, I share as a "web map". Even when comparing on ArcGIS Pro: Vertex x & y are not same.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @AlexanderLynch2 - sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. Thank you for including the sample data - I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. Please see my steps below and let me know what I need to alter to see the issue. Alternatively, I can get a Support case started for you and an analyst can test the workflow and data extensively. 

• Add layers from GDB to new map in ArcGIS Pro 2.9
  • Change projection of map to Web Mercator (layers projected on the fly from local projection to Web Mercator)
  • Publish web map from ArcGIS Pro
  • From Portal section in Catalog pane, open up the newly published hosted feature layer. 
  • Add it to ArcGIS Pro and compare to the features in the File Geodatabase. 
  • When viewing in Web Mercator or the File Geodatabase projection, the features are in the exact same place. 

Thanks,

-Peter 

0 Kudos
JohnJackman2
New Contributor

Hi Alex

I am also finding the same issue with everything moving 3.3 ft. I also use share from ArcGIS Pro to web map. I share a map that is in Vermont State Planes and FT. When I export it is in WGS 84 and meters. All data collected using survey 123 Elevation is in meters and the old data is in ft.

0 Kudos