Drawing Lines

Jump to solution
09-28-2022 10:37 AM
lukekm
by
New Contributor II

When drawing a line on a new sketch layer, is it possible to "pause" the drawing of the line and MOVE the map to continue drawing the line? For example - if you are drawing the path of a route from one point to another, following a road, but the distance between the two points is larger that what your screen will allow, how can you move the map and continue drawing your line?

Additionally, is there a way to create a PATH (line) from one location to another, following roads that would essentially be a line feature? I'm imagining how you use Google Maps or Apple Maps on your phone to get directions . . . it creates a path - can you do the same thing in ArcGIS Online, to create that path and have that be a line feature?

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZaraMatheson
Esri Contributor

Hi, sorry, yes I missed  a step. From the item details page for your route layer you can click "publish" and that will save it as a feature layer.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
lukekm
by
New Contributor II

Sorry, I figured out the Route question, but am still wondering about the ability to MOVE a map to continue drawing a line. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

One way is with the mouse wheel.  When you zoom in/out with the mouse wheel, it uses the location of the pointer to "center" the zoom.

So, one way to accomplish this, while drawing a line and hit the edge of your screen, roll the wheel to zoom out, then move the cursor down the road a ways and roll to zoom back in.  This will keep the sketch tool active, and editing the current line while allowing you to zoom to anywhere in the map.

R_

lukekm
by
New Contributor II

Rhett's answer was helpful in how to continually draw a line - thank you! Related question . . . if a route is drawn using the "Directions" tool, is there any way to change that Route to a "sketch" feature (line) so that a pop-up could be added?

0 Kudos
ZaraMatheson
Esri Contributor

ZaraMatheson_0-1664397151739.png

Hello! You can save route layers as Feature Layers from the Layerlist and can customize the popup from there.  You can also use the arrow keys to pan around on the map while sketching. Hope this helps. 

0 Kudos
lukekm
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for the help - using the arrow keys worked great. The suggestion on doing a Save As on the Route layer seemed like a good one, but when I do that it just saves it as a "Route Layer" to my Content. I don't see an option for saving it as a Feature Layer. Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
ZaraMatheson
Esri Contributor

Hi, sorry, yes I missed  a step. From the item details page for your route layer you can click "publish" and that will save it as a feature layer.