Did editor tracking break?

03-20-2017 03:08 PM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It looks like sometime around the last AGO update my editor tracking on a AGO HFS stopped working.  Times sometimes work but created_user and last_edited_user are no longer being populated.  This had been working for over 2 years then suddenly nothing.

In case you don't know already note that AGO uses different tracking names when enabled after a post of data.  But if you enable then post it keeps the geodb naming convention.  Why AGO and File GeoDBs use diff field names is a mystery to me (and drives me nuts).

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I turned tracing off then back on again.  It started working again BUT it now created the other named fields also.  So now I have 2 tracking fields for each.  

I also have 2 other exact same services and are still working just fine.

Can someone shed light on to why this all changed and how to fix it back to the way it was.

thanks

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Doug,

This shouldn't be broken. Was Editor tracking turned off and then turned on again? 

Here is link to a discussion about publishing a service that maintain's editor tracking information https://community.esri.com/message/657034-publishing-to-agol-overwrites-editor-tracking-data?sr=sear.... you can use this script to republish the data if you have a copy with the previous edit dates.

I would also recommend contacting technical support to look into the cause of this issue as it shouldn't have stopped working if no changes were made to the service.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yep I turned it off and on again to see if that worked.  It did but added the extra fields now.

I can not republish this data.  The URL is burned into 100+ tablets so it would be a major effort to change.  

Again 2 of my 3 are fine but the 3rd and a new one i made will not work.  I published via ArcMap 10.2.2.  The brand new one I tried today has never worked.

Why did AGO go off on its own naming convention?  This has been causing me issues for years!

thanks

0 Kudos
AlanRex1
Esri Contributor

Hi Doug,

If you have maintenance I would suggest logging a Tech Support case for this issue.  If you're not on any maintenance right now feel free to PM with your contact info and I can try to get a case going for you.

-Alan

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

After republishing twice it starting working again.  No idea what happened.

Thanks

0 Kudos