Creating a Manuscript-Ready Map

07-31-2022 04:03 PM
Labels (3)
Sean_McKnight
New Contributor III

I need to create a map of my field site to include in a manuscript and my thesis for my MS. I need to show Gasparilla Island in relation to the rest of Florida, like picture 1, but I need to add a scale bar and compass. I also want to show where on the island the two sites are by highlighting them on the inset map like photo 2. I then need a close-up (maybe side by side?) of the two sites, like pictures 3 and 4, again probably with scale and compass? But I don't see how to make such a map on arcgis online. I don't have access to arcgis desktop so I am hoping I can do this in QGIS? But I can't figure out how to download or export my features to use elsewhere.

Gasparilla inset.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 6.53.14 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-31 at 6.56.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-31 at 6.56.29 PM.png

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Savannah2019
New Contributor III

Hmm, maybe you could throw the map into a basic app and use the print function? It's pretty simplistic, but it has a scale bar. 

But to export your features, you would go to each layer's details page , and there should be a button on the right-hand side, under the "open in map viewer classic" that lets you export the data in different formats.

0 Kudos