Create a feature layer from a WMS server/layer package

Jump to solution
06-28-2021 10:41 AM
Bryan_Wade
Occasional Contributor

I created a layer in ArcGis Pro from a WMS server. I would like to take the layer and display it on a map in ArcGIS online. I saved the the layer in ArcGis Pro as a package layer, but this only allows me to share the layer if people are going to open it in Pro. I would like to display the data in the package layer in ArcGis Online so that we can run analysis with corresponding data during emergency events. Is there a way to do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are the administrator of your AGOL organization,

navigate to Organization > Settings > Security > Trusted Servers. Add the WMS Server.

JayantaPoddar_0-1624910150435.png

Once you've added the server to the list of trusted servers, you can add your OGC services to Map Viewer Classic or as an item. If authentication is necessary, users adding or viewing secured OGC layers will be prompted to enter their credentials.

OGC WFS, WMS, and WMTS services secured with token-based authentication are not supported.

Secure OGC Services - ArcGIS Online 

Think Location

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could add the WMS Layer(s) to ArcGIS Online directly.

From Content

JayantaPoddar_0-1624906074343.png

JayantaPoddar_1-1624906223107.png

Alternatively, you may add the WMS Layer(s) directly to Map Viewer of ArcGIS Online.

JayantaPoddar_2-1624906371431.png

JayantaPoddar_3-1624906494619.png

Think Location
0 Kudos
Bryan_Wade
Occasional Contributor

I tried that before I went the ArcGis Pro route. I just get an error message that says "Service '' does not exist or is inaccessible."

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you share the URL link of the WMS layer(s)?

Is it a secured service (credentials required)?

Think Location
0 Kudos
Bryan_Wade
Occasional Contributor

I can't share the link since it is a secured service that requires credentials to access.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are the administrator of your AGOL organization,

navigate to Organization > Settings > Security > Trusted Servers. Add the WMS Server.

JayantaPoddar_0-1624910150435.png

Once you've added the server to the list of trusted servers, you can add your OGC services to Map Viewer Classic or as an item. If authentication is necessary, users adding or viewing secured OGC layers will be prompted to enter their credentials.

OGC WFS, WMS, and WMTS services secured with token-based authentication are not supported.

Secure OGC Services - ArcGIS Online 

Think Location