Can't create multiple hosted feature layers from single google sheet with multiple tabs

03-25-2022 09:23 AM
Labels (2)
StephanieIngraldi
New Contributor

I am generating hosted feature layers from a google spreadsheet with multiple tabs. A month ago, I had no problem uploading each tab as its own layer. Now I'm trying to re-upload the layers, but the drop-down menu with my tabs in gone and I get this error message: “A file named "[my spreadsheet name]" already exists in this folder. Please rename the file and try again.”

I've done some testing and I know the following are not causing the issue:

• New tabs to the spreadsheet added/renamed/moved since I uploaded my first feature layer. I created a new test spreadsheet with multiple tabs and got the same error message when I tried to create my second feature layer.
  • Google form linkage
  • Column name duplicates in a single tab

I've tried doing this with multiple other spreadsheets with different properties and get the same error message any time I try to add the second feature layer, which leads me to think this may be a bug.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Stephanie,

Try updating the current hosted feature layer instead of trying to republish over the old one.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
StephanieIngraldi
New Contributor

My reason for re-uploading instead of updating the layers is that I've since changed the columns in the spreadsheet (deleted/added new ones). When I try updating I get the 'Adding item...' buffering page but it never goes away and the layer never updates. I don't know if this is because of the column mismatch or the existing name issue.

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, absolutely the change of the table schema would definitely make it impossible to update.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos