Web Application hit counter widget needed.

06-14-2017 10:36 AM
DavidLight
New Contributor III

I am often asked to provide information on usage of our GIS applications.  The usage information can be very helpful in providing cost justification for GIS Programs.  I would like to see a simple hit counter widget that could increment each time an application was accessed.  I realize there are statistics available on a per service level, but that does not really provide me the same information as a simple hit counter for the application.  In addition to using the proposed widget in a per application case, ideally the widget should be flexible enough to be used in a dashboard type of application for multiple application hit counters within a central dashboard. 

5 Comments
ChelseaRozek

We use Google analytics, just copy and paste their code into our apps. However, we're hosting all of our own apps, so this would be helpful for any ESRI hosted apps.

by Anonymous User

There is a hit counter for the application on the item details page. You can find the number of views on the usage tab.

In addition you could create your own dashboard of sorts for all of your applications using the ArcGIS API for Python. Here is a sample that signs into ArcGIS anonymously, searches on the word fire, grabs the first item and returns the view count:

from arcgis.gis import GIS
gis = GIS()
public_content = gis.content.search("Fire", item_type="Feature Layer", max_items=5)
item = public_content[0]
item.numViews

ArcGIS API for Python | ArcGIS for Developers 

The same basic premise would work for your needs but you would specify the item id's for the applications of interest.

JonathanMoulding

Hi is there a way to reset the app count so after you have developed it and checked it is working ok you then only get figures for new people using the app.

JeffTimm

Now that only works if you have used web app builder developer or have downloaded your application.  I have not figured out a way to paste code in for ArcGIS Enterprise hosted applications.

JeffTimm

Or a date range?