Kernel Dies When Exporting PDF

11-07-2021 12:45 PM
Labels (1)
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This may well be a bug, but wanted to put it out there in case anyone else has encountered this and has input.

I have an AGOL Notebook, running on the "medium" notebook type (3 credits/hour), chosen so that I can access arcpy, and in particular, arcpy.mp. I was hoping to automate certain map creation tasks.

For whatever, reason, attempting to export a layout to PDF yields this message:

The kernel appears to have died. It will restart automatically.

I have tested every other line of code in my notebook independently of this actual export command and it works fine. It is specifically the PDF export that kills the kernel, and I receive no other feedback or messages other than the one above.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The kernel appears to have died. It will restart a... - Page 2 - Esri Community

perhaps totally unrelated, but the title is promising.

The only other thing I found was when the pdf was open when trying to export

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Knowing this sort of thing happens in other situations doesn't exactly help me, but it makes me hope that maybe it's a larger bug, and thus more likely to be dealt with. Guess I'll file a support ticket.

I'm seeing this behavior even when exporting to an empty directory so there's not even a file to be open elsewhere.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
davedoesgis
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Josh - Did you figure this out? I'm struggling to even troubleshoot it. Looks like Portal Notebooks have log files you can check, but not sure how to access this on AGOL Notebooks. I wish there was a Python Traceback or something more specific than this error message. Thanks

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No such luck. I don't see the behavior consistently, either, but I've moved to doing these tasks by another method, so I also don't know if a recent update maybe addressed it.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
davedoesgis
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks

0 Kudos