Can the Notebook Server be installed on top of another server?

Jump to solution
09-06-2022 08:36 AM
RPGIS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I just have a general question, if anyone knows the answers, if the Notebook Server can be installed on top of another server? We are looking to have it installed but I was tasked with finding out whether or not we can install it with another server on the same machine. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX

Are you referring to another server role, such as already having an  ArcGIS Server component (Image, GeoAnalytics, GIS) installed on the server? If so, that may be possible but not recommended and likely not Supported by Esri. The Notebook Server role is different from the others and uses computer resources differently. Trying to run it with another intensive program can lead to poor performance and instability on that server. It does get installed on a Server in the sense that is an Operating system with dedicated hardware (CPU/RAM/NIC), but the server must also meet certain requirements such as the Hyper-V role for Windows servers. Before Jumping in to using Notebook Server, get familiar with the installation requirements and process as well as how the product works. That will help guide your decisions when planning how to set it up. The documentation can be found here.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TonyContreras_Frisco_TX

Are you referring to another server role, such as already having an  ArcGIS Server component (Image, GeoAnalytics, GIS) installed on the server? If so, that may be possible but not recommended and likely not Supported by Esri. The Notebook Server role is different from the others and uses computer resources differently. Trying to run it with another intensive program can lead to poor performance and instability on that server. It does get installed on a Server in the sense that is an Operating system with dedicated hardware (CPU/RAM/NIC), but the server must also meet certain requirements such as the Hyper-V role for Windows servers. Before Jumping in to using Notebook Server, get familiar with the installation requirements and process as well as how the product works. That will help guide your decisions when planning how to set it up. The documentation can be found here.

RPGIS
by

Thanks @TonyContreras_Frisco_TX,

It is a new role that we are looking to have installed with the next portal upgrade that is coming up. I was just curious to see if it could be installed on the same machine, in a sense. I will let the manager know what I have found. I have been doing some research into it but I wanted to check with the community as well to see if I could potentially get more insight into it.

0 Kudos
NicholasGiner1
Esri Contributor

Hi @RPGIS, thanks for the questions.  I noticed that you also had other questions regarding Notebook Server here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-notebooks-questions/does-anyone-know-if-the-notebook-server-pan...

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss Notebook Server in more detail.

thanks!

Nick Giner, Product Manager - ArcGIS Notebooks

nginer@esri.com

0 Kudos