Set Rules to Keep walking Mode from crossing the street.

Jump to solution
09-08-2021 11:56 AM
Lim_Shane
New Contributor II

I am trying to create routes for stops along a walking route.  The current solve is alternating across the street I would like the route to stay on one side of the street and then come back down the other side for safety of the walker.  How can I setup the network dataset to give me these results.  I think I need a restriction on crossing the street but I am not sure. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lim_Shane
New Contributor II

For anybody who finds this.  The answer was not to actually make any changes to the network dataset.  I simply had to set the CurbApproach value on the stops to be right side of vehicle.  In my case I set this as the default value when I imported my stops.

StopRightSide.PNG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You are correct, you need a restriction on the crossings. Using / creating the appropriate network feature layer, create point features at pedestrian / street crossings. In your walking mode parameters, you can set those features as barriers.

It's worth considering that there may be situations in which crossing a street is necessary. You could alternatively assign these points an extremely high cost, rather than flat-out restrictions, such that they would only be used if no other alternative were available.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Lim_Shane
New Contributor II

I set the restriction to high on the intersections but how does that affect the street itself.  Based on the routes I have now the road itself seems like it needs some sort of restriction.  In the attached photo the route isn't crossing at intersections its crossing everywhere. 

RouteCrossing.PNG

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I suppose it doesn't affect the road. You could add a cost to the road edges themselves.

I should ask: do your pedestrian routes have their own edges? As in, are the sidewalks / paths digitized? Your screenshot lots like it's just routing along the road itself. It's only "crossing" if you connect the stops in numeric order, but the route itself is linear.

If you're just using the road network itself for pedestrian routing, I think it's still possible. Take a look at Locating Analysis Inputs. I think if you specify the SideOfEdge attribute to "right", your route should go up, then back, in order to hit all the stops with that constraint in place.

Still, this has its drawbacks, as sidewalks are bi-directional paths, and may or may not be present on both sides of the road. I would strongly encourage the digitizing of separate pedestrian paths for this problem.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
Lim_Shane
New Contributor II

For anybody who finds this.  The answer was not to actually make any changes to the network dataset.  I simply had to set the CurbApproach value on the stops to be right side of vehicle.  In my case I set this as the default value when I imported my stops.

StopRightSide.PNG

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad you found a solution that works, but keep in mind that this assumes that you're always going to be walking along the right-hand sidewalk in the direction of travel. Depending on the arrangement and number of stops you have, this may not always work.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos