OD Cost Matrix - TravelTime vs. Minutes accumulation

Jump to solution
06-28-2022 11:57 AM
KateKnowles
New Contributor

I am using the OD cost matrix to calculate route distances and travel time between two sets of points. I am optimizing for distance, but I would also like to get the travel time along each route.

I have the Impedance set to Kilometers with Kilometers, TravelTime (minutes) and Minutes selected for accumulation. When I solve, the attributes show slightly different values for the TravelTime (minutes) and Minutes (minutes). What is the difference between those two, and which is the correct one to use when measuring the driving time along the shortest route?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlanHatakeyama
Esri Contributor

Hi @KateKnowles,

The TravelTime impedance returns the amount of travel time for the route at a certain time of day on a certain day of the week.  The Minutes impedance returns the average amount of travel time needed for the route, which is useful when you don't know what day or time you plan to depart or arrive.  If you do not provide a departure time or arrival time into your analysis, then the TravelTime impedance will return the same average time that the Minutes impedance returns.

The Impedance attributes for your data can be found in the ArcGIS StreetMap Premium North America help (found at: Business Analyst/US_2021/Documentation/2021 StreetMap Premium/helpcontents/index.htm) under Routing > About the routing services > Impedance options.

Please let us know if you need anything else.  Thanks!

Alan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

The configuration of impedance attributes on a network and what they represent depends entirely on the data.  What network dataset or service are you using?  I'm guessing you're using Streetmap Premium or the ArcGIS Online Service, but I can't be sure.

0 Kudos
KateKnowles
New Contributor

I am using Network Analyst extension in ArcMap 10.8.2 with the Business Analyst 2021 US Routing feature dataset (Business Analyst/US_2021/Data/Streets Data/NorthAmerica.gdb/Routing). All of my origins and destinations are points I geocoded or imported as a shapefile.

0 Kudos
AlanHatakeyama
Esri Contributor

Hi @KateKnowles,

The TravelTime impedance returns the amount of travel time for the route at a certain time of day on a certain day of the week.  The Minutes impedance returns the average amount of travel time needed for the route, which is useful when you don't know what day or time you plan to depart or arrive.  If you do not provide a departure time or arrival time into your analysis, then the TravelTime impedance will return the same average time that the Minutes impedance returns.

The Impedance attributes for your data can be found in the ArcGIS StreetMap Premium North America help (found at: Business Analyst/US_2021/Documentation/2021 StreetMap Premium/helpcontents/index.htm) under Routing > About the routing services > Impedance options.

Please let us know if you need anything else.  Thanks!

Alan

0 Kudos
KateKnowles
New Contributor

Hi Alan, 

Thanks so much! That is great to know. 

Kate

0 Kudos