many to many shortest path, save as geometry

Jump to solution
11-01-2022 10:15 AM
RamB
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have an OD matrix that defines flow between pairs of nodes. I would like to get the geometry of path(s) between these pairs of nodes. It is kind of paths between many to many nodes.  Is this possible with network analyst ? 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, I am trying many points as O and many points as D. 

What is the "Yes" too? Are you doing an N by M OD matrix with all possible paths OR are you solving pairs of Origin to Destination routes? If you are doing a complete OD matrix then use the OD Cost Matrix solver. If you are doing pairs of O-D routes, then use the Route solver. Both the solvers are in the Network Analyst extension.

Jay Sandhu

Jay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

If you're doing an OD Cost Matrix analysis in ArcGIS, then it's not possible to retrieve the network path between each origin and destination.  The OD Cost Matrix solver uses the road network when calculating the travel times and distances, but it optimizes performance and memory usage by not storing those network paths.  It only stores the calculated costs, and it can optionally generate a straight line between each origin and destination.

If you want to get the geometry of the on-street routes between origins and destinations, you can use the Closest Facility solver instead.  The functionality is very similar to OD Cost Matrix, but it does have the option to store the geometry (and it's a little slower).  If you want to connect all origins to all destinations, you just need to set the number of facilities to find for the "closest" facility to a number >= your number of destinations.

Here's the Closest Facility tutorial: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/closest-facility-tutorial.htm 

0 Kudos
RamB
by

Thank you. So not much changed in many years of OD Cost Matrix. Thank you for confirming.

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Are you looking to generate N by M OD matrices? Or are you looking to generate paths between pairs of points? For pairs of points, the workflow is to use the Route solver with the ROUTENAME property.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
RamB
by

Yes, I am trying many points as O and many points as D. They are the same set of points, but on a exteremely rare occasion can be partially different. I will look into route solver, is it also in the network extension? 

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, I am trying many points as O and many points as D. 

What is the "Yes" too? Are you doing an N by M OD matrix with all possible paths OR are you solving pairs of Origin to Destination routes? If you are doing a complete OD matrix then use the OD Cost Matrix solver. If you are doing pairs of O-D routes, then use the Route solver. Both the solvers are in the Network Analyst extension.

Jay Sandhu

Jay

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @RamB and anyone else reading this thread who might be doing similar workflows.

Esri’s Network Analyst Team is doing some research about customer workflows involving solving routes or calculating travel times and distances between known or preassigned pairs of origins and destinations. We’d like to better understand our customers’ needs in this area and may use this information to design and develop improved tools and workflows.

I can't quite tell if that's what you were doing here, but if this workflow is relevant to you and you have a few minutes and are willing, could you please fill out the attached survey and return it to the e-mail address included inside the document?  Alternatively, you can reach out to me (my e-mail address is in the document) to set up a meeting.

Thank you so much!!

0 Kudos