Closest Facility: only have 1000 Incidents but get "The maximum records for Incidents limit of 5000 has been exceeded."

Jump to solution
06-14-2022 08:25 AM
RyanSnead
New Contributor II

As the title says, I am running Closest Facility under the Network Analyst toolset. I have over 9000 institutions but I have broken up my shapefiles so there are only 1000 in each. When I run the analysis with one of my 1000 row features, I still receive this error: "The maximum records for Incidents limit of 5000 has been exceeded.". Does it matter how many facilities I have? The feature I'm currently using for facilities only has 117. I have others that I plan on using which have over 1000. Regardless, why do I keep getting this error when I am using far fewer than the 5000 Institution limit? This is ArcGIS Pro.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Correct, the Ready-to-Use tools are a separate way of running a Closest Facility problem from the standard network analysis layer workflow.  In fact, the Network Analyst Ready-to-Use tools will be deprecated in the forthcoming ArcGIS Pro 3.1 release because they represent an older workflow we no longer wish to support, so it's best if you avoid this tool and instead use the layer workflow.

You can follow this tutorial to learn how: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/closest-facility-tutorial.htm  The tutorial shows how to complete the workflow using a local network dataset, but you can use the exact same workflow using ArcGIS Online as the network data source.

Please give this a try and see if you still run into the same credit usage limitation (you shouldn't).

View solution in original post

19 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello.  The answer likely depends on how you're doing this Closest Facility calculation.  I can't quite tell from your question.  Did you create a Closest Facility layer, and are you using the Add Locations tool to insert the incidents?  If this is what you're doing, then perhaps you have forgotten to uncheck the "Append" option.  So each time you add a chunk of incidents, they're being added to the incidents already in the layer, so your layer has more than 5000 incidents in it.

But if your workflow is different, please describe it in more detail so we can figure out where the problem is.

Also, I presume from your question that you're using ArcGIS Online as your network data source.  Could you please confirm that this is what you're doing?

0 Kudos
RyanSnead
New Contributor II

Thank you! Yes, I am using ArcGIS Online. I was using the Closest Facilities analysis from the Ready-to-Use Tools. I don't think this is the same as making the Closest Facility layer.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Correct, the Ready-to-Use tools are a separate way of running a Closest Facility problem from the standard network analysis layer workflow.  In fact, the Network Analyst Ready-to-Use tools will be deprecated in the forthcoming ArcGIS Pro 3.1 release because they represent an older workflow we no longer wish to support, so it's best if you avoid this tool and instead use the layer workflow.

You can follow this tutorial to learn how: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/closest-facility-tutorial.htm  The tutorial shows how to complete the workflow using a local network dataset, but you can use the exact same workflow using ArcGIS Online as the network data source.

Please give this a try and see if you still run into the same credit usage limitation (you shouldn't).

RyanSnead
New Contributor II

Alright, I did this and my first issue was solved but now when I run the Closest Facilities analysis it says all my facilities and institutions are unlocated. I'm using point data and the attribute table has longitude/latitude. Do I need street address? Or could their be some other issue? I followed the tutorial you sent as close as I could.

MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Wonderful!  We've made some progress.

This documentation page explains all about what it means to "locate" inputs on the network: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/analysis/networks/locating-analysis-inputs.htm

When you say you're using "point data", can I presume your input is a feature class that displays properly in the map?  In other words, it consists of point features that have some geometry?  Or is it just a table with lat/lon values that does not display in the map?  If it's the latter, you will likely need to run the XY Table to Point tool to convert the lat/lon into points that have some geometry and can display in the map.  Then, when you run Add Locations, it will use that geometry to "locate" the points on the network.  But it doesn't know how to do that if the points just have lat/lon and no geometry.

0 Kudos
RyanSnead
New Contributor II

Yes! I am using the former. My data has lat/long and is already added to the map. I looked over that webpage last night but I didn't notice anything written that I could do to help my situation. Although, it did give me a better understanding of what is going on. This issue occurs for both my facilities (healthcare facilities) and institutions (population weighted block group centroids). I attached a screenshot to give some more context. Thanks!

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hmm, then it could be a coordinate system issue.  If you add one of the Esri-provided basemaps, do your points line up where you expect them?  Or are they inadvertently floating in the middle of the ocean or in the center of the earth or something?

0 Kudos
RyanSnead
New Contributor II

Interesting. They are indeed floating in the middle of the ocean. The projections/coordinate systems are all the same for my feature layers, however, not for my Closest Facility layer or basemap.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Pro is pretty good about taking whatever data you give it, even if the coordinate system is messed up, and displaying it somewhere so that it appears in the map, even if it's in a nonsensical or nonexistent or unknown location.  The problems arise when you try to combine that data with data that does have a valid coordinate system.

The basemap is provided by Esri and uses a standard coordinate system.  It should be considered "correct". The data used by the ArcGIS Online network analysis services should also be considered "correct".  So, you need to fix whatever is wrong with your data's coordinate system so that it matches up with the expected locations on the basemap.

Fixing data in that way gets outside my area of expertise, so if you're not able to figure it out, I suggest contacting Esri Support or perhaps posting somewhere else in Esri Community.

0 Kudos