Change Network Data Source for Single Layer from Local Network Data Set to ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
08-21-2022 06:33 PM
RyanSnead
New Contributor II

Hello,

I'm working on a project using the Service Area feature of the Network Analyst extension. Initially, I created a service area layer with a local network data set, StreetMap Premium, but I no longer have access to that data. Further, I didn't export the feature as a shapefile. So currently the service area layer is sitting in my project file with a red exclamation point next to it's name and won't show up since it's not connected to the data source. Is it possible to now change the data source for that specific layer to the ArcGIS Online Portal so that I can use it again? The network data source for the project file is already set to the ArcGIS Online Portal but it only works for new network analyst layers. My previous service area requires a very large amount of credits so I unfortunately can't rerun the analysis with the online portal. 

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Right, the layer is broken, but the underlying feature class holding the data is okay.  You can just use that feature class or copy it elsewhere.  You can add it to the map as a separate standalone layer.

1. In the map, right-click the Polygons sublayer and choose Properties.
  2. When the Properties dialog opens, click Source on the left.
  3. Check the table for the filepath to the geodatabase where the data is stored and the name of the feature class.  It will be called something like SAPolygons28e168.  (The feature classes are named automatically, so it will contain some random alphanumeric characters.)  Also look at the Feature Dataset because the feature class is actually in there.  So the full path will be something like <path>\MyProject.gdb\ServiceAreaSolver1bqfp70\SAPolygons28e168
  4. You can access this file geodatabase in the Catalog pane.  It's probably best if you copy that polygons feature class somewhere else and rename it so you don't forget what it is.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Unfortunately, no, there is no way to salvage an existing network analysis layer to switch it from using a local network dataset to using a service.

If you need the output service area polygons, you should be able to retrieve those from the layer's feature dataset.  You should be able to open the properties of the Polygons sublayer in the map and see the data source, and you can copy that or work with it like any other feature class.  You just won't be able to use the network analysis layer again.

0 Kudos
RyanSnead
New Contributor II

Thank you so much for your reply. If I can export the polygons for the service area to use then that would solve my problem. However, don't I still need to set a new data source for the polygon sublayer? When I try to export the feature, I get the following error code: 000210.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Right, the layer is broken, but the underlying feature class holding the data is okay.  You can just use that feature class or copy it elsewhere.  You can add it to the map as a separate standalone layer.

1. In the map, right-click the Polygons sublayer and choose Properties.
  2. When the Properties dialog opens, click Source on the left.
  3. Check the table for the filepath to the geodatabase where the data is stored and the name of the feature class.  It will be called something like SAPolygons28e168.  (The feature classes are named automatically, so it will contain some random alphanumeric characters.)  Also look at the Feature Dataset because the feature class is actually in there.  So the full path will be something like <path>\MyProject.gdb\ServiceAreaSolver1bqfp70\SAPolygons28e168
  4. You can access this file geodatabase in the Catalog pane.  It's probably best if you copy that polygons feature class somewhere else and rename it so you don't forget what it is.
0 Kudos
RyanSnead
New Contributor II

Thank you! I will give this a shot.

0 Kudos
RyanSnead
New Contributor II

I went through these steps and the neither the feature dataset or class were present in the geodatabase. Even if I directly copy and pasted the link, nothing showed up. Should I be going through the Catalog pane rather than looking in my files? If it makes any difference, the geodatabase is on OneDrive.

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, you need to use the Catalog pane or view in Pro to access the data inside a geodatabase.  In File Explorer, it will just show you a bunch of gobbledigook.

Pro should support data in OneDrive with no problem.

0 Kudos