ArcGIS Pro Network Analyst - Partial Solution, no destination found for some origins

Jump to solution
03-07-2023 04:00 AM
JanaWe
by
New Contributor

Dear all,

I have a question about the result of the OD cost Matrix. I am using the matrix to identify the Origins that are lacking a destination within a certain distance.

I am attaching pictures of my dataset to help understand my question. In all pictures you can see the origins as brown points, the destiantions as green squares, the lines in green and the network in grey.

Picture 1:
- This is the result of the OD matrix with a CutOff at 200m, showing the origins with their connection to destiantions within 200m and also some origins that don't have a destiantion within 200 and remain without a connection line.

Picture 2:

- This is the result of the OD matrix with a CutOff at 300m, also showing Origins and their connections. In comaparison to the picture 1, more origins are connected, due to the greater cutoff distance. 

Picture 3:

- This is the result of the OD matrix with a CutOff at 200m again
- in Orange I have highlighted the Origins that I get a partial solution and the following warning when solving: "No "Destinations" found for "Location 59" in "Origins"."

Picture 4:

- This is the result of the OD matrix with a CutOff at 500m. The picture is messy, I am sorry for that. i will only use it  to check whether the Origins in Question are reachable within the network.  Zooming to the origins highlighted in orange and exploring the network does show that the origins are  connecting to destinations within 500m and there should not be a connectivity issue.

My question now is, what is the difference between the origins that are no longer used for the analysis once their closest destination is located outside the cutoff and the origins that come up as warnings such as "No "Destinations" found for "Location 59" in "Origins"." (See Picture 3) How do I interpret the warning?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Jana

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

I don't completely understand your situation, but I'll try to answer your question.

You will get a warning like "No "Destinations" found for "Location 59" in "Origins"." for each origin where no destinations were found within the cutoff.  If at least one destination was found for that origin, you won't get that warning for that origin.

The "Partial solution found" message will occur if at least one origin found no destinations within the cutoff.

From your pictures, it seems like your network and analysis configuration is working correctly.  If your goal is to find which origins found no destinations you can join the output Lines sublayer back to the Origins sublayer (the OriginID field in Lines corresponds to the ObjectID field in Origins) to transfer some field like Total_TravelTime (or whatever, for your network - doesn't really matter).  The rows with null values for this joined field are the origins that didn't find a destination.  (This seems more reliable than trying to parse the warning messages, if that's what you're trying to do.)

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

I don't completely understand your situation, but I'll try to answer your question.

You will get a warning like "No "Destinations" found for "Location 59" in "Origins"." for each origin where no destinations were found within the cutoff.  If at least one destination was found for that origin, you won't get that warning for that origin.

The "Partial solution found" message will occur if at least one origin found no destinations within the cutoff.

From your pictures, it seems like your network and analysis configuration is working correctly.  If your goal is to find which origins found no destinations you can join the output Lines sublayer back to the Origins sublayer (the OriginID field in Lines corresponds to the ObjectID field in Origins) to transfer some field like Total_TravelTime (or whatever, for your network - doesn't really matter).  The rows with null values for this joined field are the origins that didn't find a destination.  (This seems more reliable than trying to parse the warning messages, if that's what you're trying to do.)

JanaWe
by
New Contributor

Thank you Melinda for your response and help!!

You answered my question. I was confused about the warning mesages not matching the actual result. rejoining the results with the origins works very well. I do attach a picture to illustrate for other community members who might get to a similar point of confusion.

Thank you !

Picture 1: Sumamrizing the statistics

JanaWe_0-1678973863372.png

Picture 2: Joining the statistics with the origins. highlighting the origins without any connection within the cutoff

JanaWe_1-1678973876136.png

0 Kudos