New User - Existing Lines to Routes

Jump to solution
10-30-2021 07:15 AM
DMFACER
New Contributor III

What I would like to do is take routes that we already have designed as a feature layer in ArcGIS Pro and convert them to routes that I can use in Navigator.  I see the Create Routes (Linear Referencing) geoprocessing tool in Pro, but I'm not sure how to get these routes published to ArcGIS Online as something that Navigator will recognize as a route and can use for turn-by-turn navigation.

Any help is appreciated.

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisDunn1
Esri Contributor

Hi Matt,

Here is a blog post with a workflow you can try that will help you convert polylines into routes that can be used in Navigator:
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-navigator-blog/transforming-polylines-into-route-layers-tutoria...

I hope that helps!

Chris

View solution in original post

5 Replies
ChrisDunn1
Esri Contributor

Hi Matt,

Here is a blog post with a workflow you can try that will help you convert polylines into routes that can be used in Navigator:
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-navigator-blog/transforming-polylines-into-route-layers-tutoria...

I hope that helps!

Chris

DMFACER
New Contributor III

This is exactly what I was looking for!  Thank you.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am trying to create garbage collection routes and also came across the tutorial. I am running into some issues though. I converted my road intersections to points, loaded them into the stop feature class, filled in the sequence values and added additional stops where needed (many streets need to be driven up & down several times in order to collect garbage on both sides) - 149 stops in total. In the attribute table, I indicate that all of the locations are waypoints except for the very last point which is a stop. When I click the Run button on the Route layer tab, I get an error. If I set some points as stops and some as waypoints, I get an error. If I set every point as a stop the route is created but every driving direction says drive north and then do a u turn. What am I doing wrong? 

SHartholt_0-1676389715543.png

0 Kudos
KerriRasmussen
Esri Contributor

Good afternoon! One thing you may want to look at is the u-turn rules under Travel Settings for your Route and set it to dead-end only. That should help with all the u-turns you are seeing. The default allows u-turns at intersections which is why you are seeing so many. 

I hope this helps!

Kerri

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks! Not sure what solved my problem but I set the Mode to Driving Distance, Sequence to Use Current and changed all of my stops to waypoints except for the start and end location.

Is it possible to use my own road network rather than Esri's to calculate the route? I have noticed some U turns where I know roads exist (blue route 2-3) and would like my users to be able to navigate along additional paths (green route), not just roads . In the screen capture below the thin green lines with arrows are the paths that our trucks drive and the thick green lines are the navigator routes. The truck drives through a parking lot/condo complex and I want my navigator route to follow the same path (31 - 32). 

SHartholt_1-1676664790871.png

SHartholt_0-1676665139028.png

0 Kudos