Would you like ArcGIS Monitor to not alert at certains times of the day (like when ArcGIS Server recycles services)?

11-02-2021 09:33 AM
Royce_Simpson
New Contributor III

Our production ArcGIS Server env recycles its services at midnight every day which, for the subsequent few hours after that recycling event, causes all kinds of ArcGIS Monitor alert mayhem resulting in 30+ notifications to my email account.  Every day I have to go to my email client and blindly delete all those meaningless emails.

This week I've implemented a nice workaround that I figured is worth sharing.  I've set up a Windows Task Scheduler on the ArcGIS Monitor machine to stop the ArcGIS Monitor service at 23:57.  Then at 03:00, another task fires the service back up.  Done and done.

To try it out, follow these steps.  For the service in question, I used the oddly named "arcgismonitorservicearcgismonitorservice.exe".  You'll create two tasks... one to do the NET STOP and another to do the NET START.

2 Replies
forestknutsen1
MVP Regular Contributor

Cool idea, the same thing happens to us. And we do have a task restarts the services every night in an attempt to keep them working (sometimes they get hung up).  And I don't bother deleting the emails... I just ignore them 🙂

We have it setup with a windows scheduled task. The task fires off a .bat. The .bat stops and starts monitor and creates a log file. So, a slightly different approach.

echo %date% %time%
net stop "ArcGIS Monitor Server"
net stop "ArcGIS Monitor Service MonitorService"
net start "ArcGIS Monitor Server"
net start "ArcGIS Monitor Service MonitorService"
echo %date% %time%

What about SDE? While stopping the monitor service may be fine for AGS we would not want to lose the database metrics for a chunk of every night.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Royce_Simpson

Belated thanks for sharing your tip.

Would you like ArcGIS Monitor to not alert at certains times of the day (like when ArcGIS Server recycles services)? 

FYI, the forthcoming release of ArcGIS Monitor in 2022 will have this capability built-in.

Hope this helps,