Runtime Content Limitation List

12-23-2015 08:47 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III
In the Help documentation for Creating ArcGIS Runtime Content, there is no information on the current limitations of the Runtime Content or how the output compares to what you see in ArcGIS for Desktop or services from ArcGIS for Server.  A little more information is found in the Help content for the Create Runtime Content Tool, but this is not enough information either.
I am currently finding the limitations by trial and error - quite a long process:
  1. Maplex for labels is not supported.  You must use the Standard Label Engine.
  2. Labels must be created from one field in the data.  You cannot create custom additions to the label using an expression parser.
  3. Labels cannot contain a "marker text background" (like an interstate shield).  It will be ignored.
  4. Labels cannot contain a "halo" or "mask".  It will be ignored.
  5. A layer cannot use a Definition Query to limit the data shown.  It will be ignored and all features will appear.
Can you please provide a list of all limitations of the Runtime Content package - possibly compared to what we are able to set up in Desktop?  This list would save some time for the cartographic design folks.

Thank you.
7 Comments
AlexanderLitvak
Absolutely I agree with this. We are continously running into difficulties with our customers now that we've migrated from the ArcGIS Runtime for WPF to the ArcGIS Runtime for .NET. This information would be very helpful precluding ESRI adding support for some of these features that were previously supported in Runtime for WPF
HuyHo
by
Here are a few other issues we've discovered with ArcGIS Runtime itself when using runtime content geodatabase:
- Labels from runtime content map (*.geodatabase) will appear at the top-most level, possibly covering up the application Graphics overlay.
- When layers are grouped using Group Layers within ArcMap, the child layers will not observe the group layer's scale range settings.  (The child layers will be visible at all scales)
MathieuBoonen

I seem to have a limit in that any Model builder scripted Tile Pack Creation toolbox tool limits the number of package creation tasks to the single first Tile package, i.e if you string three tile creation packages using different mxds, and the same tile scheme for a run time tpk, the tiling is only successful on the one tile package. the others  either are limited in the amount of data included or and often have no discernible data in the package.

Running in Batch mode is a little better but still is incomplete, I tried hanging three packages together using different mxds and different outputs but the same xml tile schema, this didn't work. with the output of the first as a precondition before the next package creation step was started.Modelbuilder script of 3 packages

I also tried running three separate tools simultaneously, with the belief that the software was smart enough to use one of the 8 processor cores that are not busy

That met with the same limitations, ie says it finishes, which it does do (supposedly without error) but still incomplete data in each package. (the 2nd and third are always less than about 1 MB) versus 1.5 GB that I am expecting to see, and when loaded onto a device have no or limited amounts of data present.

MathieuBoonen

Is there any plans to offer time limited and/or Access limited data to a  runtime database tile package, via encryption or whatever.

i.e have data time out after so many days of use, offline, or conversely stop anyone copying / moving / duplicating a tile package and displaying it on another device.

IanMartin

The following are NOT supported in ArcGIS Runtime content:

• Class extensions – includes ArcFM objects
  • Relationships – if NOT based on GlobalID
  • Geometric networks
  • Annotations
  • Group layers
  • Complex layer symbology – aka Unique values, Multiple attributes
  • Dimensions
  • Duplicate layers – only the first reference in an MXD will be published
  • Label expressions
  • Definition queries
  • Reference scales

This is not an all-inclusive list.

ModyBuchbinder

Domains are not supported too.

I am not sure about subtypes.

MathieuBoonen

Renaming runtime.geodatabase, currently this is not possible .

I am running a product called Geomaster Mobile on both Android and Apple devices, This utilises a Geodatabase runtime Database. Developed by Integral in Rotorua New Zealand.
As my data natively resides on a SDE server under aSQL Server, I have an issue whereby if I try to split data from many feature datasets into  separate databases, currently it names these the same in my case xyzcore.geodatase . 
I was hoping there was a way to store the data in separate runtime geodatabases and name them slightly differently and still house them inside a single folder structure.  I see how ESRI do it by creating a folder sub-structure for each dataset. But this I think is not so transparent in Apple Iphone Ipad devices, it may work for Android. The net effect is the application doesn’t know where to look for the data if it resides in sub-directories.  I was hoping there was a way I can choose independent names for the xyzcore.geodatabases and  in the same folder on the device.
Eg As all these feature classes reside inside xyzcore.  So make a mxd with only a few data featureclasses named forest and stand  AAA , BBB, CCC out of xyzcore  and push forest and stand to AAA.geodatabse as one runtime geodatabase, likewise road and hydrography then sit inside say  BBB.geodatabase,  plots and stratum sit inside CCC.geodatabase etc etc.
I tried the logical approach of just renaming the geodatabase file via windows explorer but for some reason, structure of the runtime.geodatabase is governed by its source name, I assume it has a masterdb table header or xml document type descriptor that sets the scene of what each file name contains. I have yet not figured a way to rename the runtime geodatabse inside of an arctool or script if there is such a tool or method. As the create runtime geodatabase arctool doesn’t provide a name for the output .
Is this possible or not maybe via some other lower lying python script or some convertor tool is added to allow renaming of these?

I also tried adding the .geodatabase file type in Arc Catalog File otions this does give me a method to rename the geodatabase but I have also found it makes ArcGIS run extremely slow if not crashing ARCGIS often or never actually starting an ARCGIS desktop session..

As per a known issue with custom file types being added to the Arc Catalog "pool" of file extension types.

So what I would want is ESRI to write a the rename or file name choice function into the runtime creation tool or build a tool to do the renaming.