Maps SDK Support in future version of UE 5.x

11-23-2022 05:26 AM
VHolubec
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello,

how it´s with support of Maps SDK with further versions of UE 5.x - like the new 5.1? Would the Maps SDK work on the UE 5.1, 5.2, or do you plan to release the Maps SDK for each version separately?

Thank you.

Vladimir

Vladimir
4 Replies
PaulWeiner
New Contributor

I tried to recompile the plugin like the video https://youtu.be/sC0gnfYzFzU suggests, but it didn´t work. Maybe someone else has more luck?

This is a "lightning round", 1-min video run through quickly showing how to recompile a plugin (in this sample case, the UE4Duino plugin for Arduino communications: https://github.com/RVillani/UE4Duino ) for Unreal Engine to avoid "built with different engine version" errors. A more relaxed-paced
0 Kudos
Infinimitsu
New Contributor

I had the previous version of the SDK working, but I deleted those projects as I was just tinkering.  I'm trying to get started again, but I have Unreal Engine 5.1.0 installed.  When I try to install the plugin I get the compile error.  I'll try that video @PaulWeiner and see if I have any luck with it.  I also decided to install a previous version of Unreal Engine, but there is no 5.0.0 available to install, just 5.0.3.  So, fingers crossed.  I'll definitely come back here and update when either attempt works or not.

Further, I would like to bump the main question in this thread: is there any plan to substantially support this plugin?  Will there be an update to this plugin each time Unreal is updated?

0 Kudos
Infinimitsu
New Contributor

So, I have tried everything within my abilities but I am not able to recompile successfully for use with UE5.1.

I was able to get the plugin installed with UE5.0.3, though.

0 Kudos
StuartJohnson1
New Contributor

You might want to be specific about the compile errors you are having and platforms, targets, and all that sort of thing. I am able to rebuild the plugin for unreal engine 5.1 on windows 10, very much like the youtube video suggests (I did add a target for just Win64). A couple of comments:

1) You will need to fix the deprecation errors in the plugin source. Google that, it's a quick fix.

2) You need to put the source/target of the plugin somewhere where the total source paths are fairly short, otherwise the compile step will get all sorts of header file not found errors. So something like c:/tmp/. Then copy to either unreal engine or to your project.

3) there are warnings about parts of UE that will go away soon, that is probably something ESRI needs to be on top of. I suspect that won't be too hard.

0 Kudos