ESRI symbol fonts and MS Word

Jump to solution
09-08-2021 07:19 AM
MikelSavage
New Contributor III

I am trying to insert an ESRI symbol font ('ESRI Shields') rendered as a text symbol (not a screenshot) in a Word document without success. I have a Plus Account License Type with AI & M4CC installed.

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Host Application: ILST 24.3.0
M4CC Version: 3.0.0
License Type: PLUS Account

I found a web page that sorta spelled out what to do but when I tried to follow the steps (menu option ‘Insert > Symbol’) I don't see the font appear in my drop down box. Also, this font does not appear in the Windows 10 available fonts settings panel. But it does appear inside AI.

Tip 10: ESRI Symbols Fonts (https://www.exprodat.com/blogs/tip-10-esri-symbols-fonts-4/)

Does someone know how to use an ESRI font inside a Word document (a cookbook approach answer would be appreciated)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikelSavage
New Contributor III

For those Windows users who may be interested, I discovered an answer to using the “ESRI Shields” font in a Word document.

I did some digging into my Windows 10 directories (folders if you like). Using the Windows utility “Command Prompt”, with administrative privileges, I performed a search, starting at the root directory, for the type of digital font technology used by the ESRI symbols libraries called TrueType. Windows uses the file extension ‘.ttf’ for all TrueType font files.

The directory search (“DIR *.ttf /s”) uncovered several duplicate sub directories named ‘esri_fonts’, each containing 73 ESRI TrueType font files. Once I located the directories, I used “File Explorer” (Windows 10) to preview the files.

I then determined which of the font files contained the “ESRI Shields”. In my case, the file name was “esri_44.ttf”. After installing the font into the Windows C:\Windows\Fonts folder I was successful in using the particular symbols in my documentation.

Now, even InDesign has access to the font family.

Even though there are websites that had the font family I wanted I thought it prudent to try to locate the ESRI/M4CC fonts instead of risking the chance of downloading a TrueType font that could contain a virus.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikelSavage
New Contributor III

For those Windows users who may be interested, I discovered an answer to using the “ESRI Shields” font in a Word document.

I did some digging into my Windows 10 directories (folders if you like). Using the Windows utility “Command Prompt”, with administrative privileges, I performed a search, starting at the root directory, for the type of digital font technology used by the ESRI symbols libraries called TrueType. Windows uses the file extension ‘.ttf’ for all TrueType font files.

The directory search (“DIR *.ttf /s”) uncovered several duplicate sub directories named ‘esri_fonts’, each containing 73 ESRI TrueType font files. Once I located the directories, I used “File Explorer” (Windows 10) to preview the files.

I then determined which of the font files contained the “ESRI Shields”. In my case, the file name was “esri_44.ttf”. After installing the font into the Windows C:\Windows\Fonts folder I was successful in using the particular symbols in my documentation.

Now, even InDesign has access to the font family.

Even though there are websites that had the font family I wanted I thought it prudent to try to locate the ESRI/M4CC fonts instead of risking the chance of downloading a TrueType font that could contain a virus.

0 Kudos
AlderMaps
Occasional Contributor

For anyone who stumbles on this question looking for the same thing I was (the actual location of ESRI symbol fonts for ArcGIS Pro), they are here (Windows 10, Pro 3.1):

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\Fonts

By copying all the fonts I want from that location to C:\Windows\Fonts, I'm now able to access them from other apps, e.g. MS Word.

0 Kudos