Adding KMZ files in the Compilation window - ERROR : RenderSymbols failed. undefined is not an object

08-11-2021 01:44 PM
MikelSavage
New Contributor III

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Host Application: ILST 24.3.0
M4CC Version: 3.0.0
License Type: PLUS Account
Adobe Illustrator: 2020 24.3.0

I have been successfully adding KMZ files to a map project for several days now. All the files are from the same source. But I am puzzled by the issue one KMZ file raises during the "Sync map into artwork layer" step.

I see a message, "ERROR : RenderSymbols failed. undefined is not an object", appear in the pale yellow area (just below the icons in the compilation window).

The KMZ file is previewed correctly in the right pane and Google Earth renders it correctly.

The messages I see in the progress/error window after I click the "OK" button in the "Sync Map" window are:

(The timer increments to 5 seconds) "Downloading..."; "Map downloading...progress may appear to stall. Please be patient, we're still working..."; (at 9 seconds) "Rename Temporary Layer completed"; "Remove Clipping Path completed"; "ERROR : RenderSymbols failed. undefined is not an object"; "ERROR  : CreateLayers failed. undefined is not an object"; "Remove Outside Symbols completed"; "Restitch Basemap completed"; "Ungroup Page Items completed", "Combine Symbol Paths completed"; "Correct Layer Names completed"; "Reset Layer Visibility completed"; "Successfully synced map to artwork layers in 0:01:05, design away!"; "Copy AIX layers to the document"; "Copy AIX layers to the document completed"; "Successfully synced map to artwork layers in 0:01:05, design away!"; "Successfully synced map to artwork layers in 0:01:26, design away!"; "Successfully synced map to artwork layers in 0:01:42, design away!"

An AI layer is created named "County Roads States-Provinces_Sync_52" but there only a path object contained in the folder. I can't find an error log on my computer so this is all I have to report.

My project is at a standstill until I can figure out how to circumvent this issue.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @MikelSavage ,  Dose the KMZ file have the same Symbology, and also check the attribute fields, is there any that have a null value where there should be something there?

0 Kudos
MikelSavage
New Contributor III

I wish I knew the answers to your questions but I don't. The sources for the KMZs were the Texas Department of Transportation for county borders and TIGER-Line Shapefile, 2019, Individual County Primary Roads for road paths. I have successfully synced 74 of their KMLs so it has left me scratching my head. I even tried the KML version but achieved the same results. I'll attach the KMZ & KML files and if you wish to perform some diagnostics I would appreciate your answers to your questions. Thank you for your interest and reply.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @MikelSavage  I have been able to view the Data in ArcGIS Pro, 

has the setting changed since you uploaded the other files?

Have you checked chances or maybe storage?  If you can maybe see if youD map 2.PNGD- map 3.PNG

can change the file format? and I am assuming you are using ArcGIS Map? D map 1.PNG

0 Kudos
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Hi @MikelSavage 

I can replicate it & it looks odd. I will DM you my email to help log a support ticket if needed.  

Since the data provider is in public space TxDOT - I noticed that the same content is available in native feature layer format at their GIS hub

It's possible to directly use the the layer URL in compilation to sync. Could this work? I tried this layer for example - https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9b2eb7d232584572ad53bad41c76b04d
I got to it from the Texas DOT GIS hub site by locating it in their 'Boundaries' collection, then selecting 'I want to use this' (link at bottom), then 'Open in ArcGIS Online', copy URL. You can use this URL in the compilation window to directly add the layer as an ArcGIS Online layer instead of from KML file. Let me know if this workaround will work. 

0 Kudos
MikelSavage
New Contributor III

Thank you for your interests and advise. I am working within the confines of the M4CC extension and a PLUS account. With a Plus account, the option of importing a large shapefile causes ESRI to through up a windows indicating the data is to complex and suggest that I upgrade.

Maybe I don't have a good understanding of the environment or the suggestion but, regarding the suggestion of using M4CC and the URL, I tried, without success, to locate the correct 'option' from the "Add Content" drop down window. Can you indicate which option to use or the click path to take. I tried the "Add Content">"Add Layers" but could not discover the correction option.

0 Kudos
MadhuraPhaterpekar
Esri Contributor

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 9.48.15 AM.png

Here is a screenshot of the interface where URL can be added.

0 Kudos
MikelSavage
New Contributor III

Thank you for the reply with the screen shot. This has allowed me to grab the county. Now I just need the state highways which is where the TIGER-Line Shapefile, 2019, Individual County Primary Roads file came in handy. I used in Google Maps  to import the shp file, assemble the important roads, and package it as a KMZ.

I thought that I could use the VectorStreetMap layer to stitch together the important roads but the scale of my mapboard is too course (County - Low Detail) so not all the roads were rendered.

Thank you again. I think I am going to need to rethink my approach. If only the one KML would have synced correctly I would have been happy.

MikelSavage
New Contributor III

Again, thank you to all who have shown an interest in trying to solve my KML/KMZ dilemma. In order to resolve this problem I invested time and effort in attempting to obtain a "valid" KMZ or KML file-one that my M4CC Version 3.0.0 would accept and sync.

I have been unsuccessful. I don't know why, when I create a map element of the county using Google Earth or Google Map, the downloaded file still causes the ESRI extension to regurgitate the ERROR.

Perhaps you wonder why I am using a KML/KMZ file in the first place. The two sources that I use to assemble the necessary geographic information force me to use Google Earth as the editing software. This is due to the nature of the information. I need to show the county border with only TxDOT state highways. Of the +70 counties that I had to distill away unnecessary route paths only this KML/KMZ has caused an issue in the extension.

I hope that someone can let the fine individuals in ESRI know about the issue and perhaps come up with a solution for me. Thank you again.

0 Kudos