webmap vs webscene

11-10-2022 08:17 AM
EliyahoLevi
New Contributor III

Hi, 
what is the difference between using scene view with Webmap and scene view with Webscene?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chapman_Russell_W
Occasional Contributor

@EliyahoLevi I assume that you mean in a "Web App" not webmap?  i don't think there is an option for viewing a "3d scene" in a webmap.  But assuming you mean Web App vs the  basic web scene viewer. You only have the standard tools available in the scene viewer and it has a default layout and toolset.  Creating a Web app using a scene allows you to add custom widgets or widgets from the available options in the webapp builder to customize the look and feel of the app and present a targeted display to users.  You can also set up corporate or agency based themes to use across webapps to make all webapps similar in look and feel across your organization if needed.   Hope that helps. 

0 Kudos
EliyahoLevi
New Contributor III

thank you for the reply, but I actually did that when adding a switch view button.

0 Kudos
Chapman_Russell_W
Occasional Contributor

@EliyahoLevi Again, i think we may be talking around the important detail here that the "Webmap" viewer does not support viewing 3d data in a scene (unless i'm missing something).  However, if you are creating a "WebApp" with the WebApp builder or via a template, in many cases this can be a 3d scene or a webmap that can be used as the referenced data source and displayed in the webapp (and could switch between 2d & 3d scene mode).  The basic scene viewer is similar to the basic webmap viewer in that they have a certain set of basic tools available to view and manipulate the data in the webmap or 3d scene.  However, if those basic tools in the webmap or scene viewer do not suffice, you can use the webapp builder to customize the user experience to fit your need.  

0 Kudos