Timeline Instant App

07-28-2021 02:25 PM
Labels (1)
JohannaPrüssmann1
New Contributor III

I would love it if it were possible to have a Timeline Instant App, where I could showcase maps and multimedia contents in a manner similar to the Portfolio Instant Map, but with the ability to select the different contents from a timeline in the lower part of the screen, where I can set time periods for the different contents. Something similar to this example:
Revolutionary User Interfaces (knightlab.com)

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
3 Comments
Stefan_Thorn

Hi Johanna,

There is now an instant app with Time Slider beta available. Unfortunately, at the moment there is the map  "Population Growth Rate by Country, 1960-2010" fixed in the app and it is not replaced with your own map.  @KellyHutchins @RyanLibed

Additional: When the app is saved the url under settings does not contain ?appid=<id app>

RyanLibed

Hi @JohannaPrüssmann1, as @Stefan_Thorn mentioned, there is now a new Instant App, Slider (beta), which allows you to explore and interact with temporal and numeric data through a slider tool in the UI. 

@Stefan_Thorn Would you happen to have the steps to reproduce this behavior? 

Thanks,
Ryan 

SaraJL
by

@Stefan_Thorn @RyanLibed The poster is showing an example of a Timeline JS application! It's a free application hosted by Knightlab that allows you to build and embed interactive timelines.

I also wish that we could have an Instant App or Story Map tool that would do this! While the Instant Slider App does allow for the combination of time + geospatial data - it doesn't have the same interactive functionality. The tool itself is also fairly static - you're really limited to the composition of the data that you upload.

It would be really neat to have specifically an interactive timeline app - almost similar to how the Map Tour is set up, but instead of adding slides, you would add sections to a timeline and then could attach it directly to a location on the map. I would envision this as:

• Create a Timeline Instant App
  • There would be a map viewer, but the panel would have a timeline section.
  • Add a slide or point on the timeline - enter date and time information
  • After adding a section to the timeline, a slide or pop-up appears (ie. like the Map tour tool) where you can click on a Location button and tie it to the map

When a user scrolls up and down on the timeline, the map would zoom or have a "tour effect" on the map view. 

You could probably create a similar effect with a map and the sidecar + map actions --> Add a map to the sidecar tool, and the manually type in text or dates into the sidecar panel. Attach actions to the dates that would allow a user to zoom to the area. But having a specific app or tool would really be neat for adding extra functionality.

@JohannaPrüssmann1 I agree with you! I wish we had something more of an interactive timeline functionality in ArcGIS Online!