Too many data points fail to map render

Jump to solution
05-19-2022 05:34 AM
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Good day all,

I have noticed that Insights Desktop fails to render more than certain number of data points on a map. It returns an error that `there are too many points to display`. I think this really needs to addressed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Aulen
Esri Contributor

@Ed_@LauraBecht 

Correct, for map rendering, the cutoff is 100k features. See more here.

Scott_Aulen_0-1653065917545.png

The limitation exists in part because of app performance reasons but also because rendering more than 100k points on nearly any map is largely without analytical value. From a map visualization perspective, I would encourage either a binned map or a heat map at that point.

As stated though, the complete dataset will still be used for for spatial analysis. Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LauraBecht
Occasional Contributor

This has always been a limitation of insights, desktop, enterprise, AGOL, all are limited to i believe 250k features.  if you can filter them with a predefined filter to get below that number, then they will all display. 

However, if you try to do any spatial tools on the filtered set it will default to the whole dataset and fail.  Maybe that issue can be addressed, but the 250k limit i believe is due to performance and likely won't.

-Laura

Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I mean it shouldn't be a computer performance issue.

0 Kudos
Scott_Aulen
Esri Contributor

@Ed_@LauraBecht 

Correct, for map rendering, the cutoff is 100k features. See more here.

Scott_Aulen_0-1653065917545.png

The limitation exists in part because of app performance reasons but also because rendering more than 100k points on nearly any map is largely without analytical value. From a map visualization perspective, I would encourage either a binned map or a heat map at that point.

As stated though, the complete dataset will still be used for for spatial analysis. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos