Predefined Filter on Date field sorts Months wrong

11-03-2022 03:16 PM
PaulCone2
Occasional Contributor III

I have had a Predefined Filter on some pages for Filter by Month on a Date field.  I noticed recently after upgrading to 2022.2 that the months are sorted wrong.  I've removed the filter and added it back but they still sort wrong and even adding them one by one sorts them wrong.  This looks like a bug was introduced with the Other Updates in 2022.2

PaulCone2_0-1667513678189.png 

PaulCone2_1-1667513713278.png

PaulCone2_2-1667513739764.png

Tags (1)
7 Replies
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Hi @PaulCone2 ,

Thanks for your message and letting us know. I will make sure the dev team knows about this.

It appears it is defaulting to alphabetical order, which is correct for string data, but this is a Date field, so this is not definitely not ideal. 

Sorry for the issue and thanks for letting us know!

Ian

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
Scott_Aulen
Esri Contributor

@PaulCone2

We're actively looking at a number of enhancements to our filters and this is one of them.

Did you say that this worked for you previously? I checked on 2022.1 and the behavior was the same and to my knowledge this has always worked as it currently does.

We definitely appreciate the feedback as it helps us prioritize development.

0 Kudos
PaulCone2

It did, but we were running 2020.3.

0 Kudos
PaulCone2
Also 2021.3.
0 Kudos
PaulCone2

Was hoping this was fixed in 2022.3, but it's not.

0 Kudos
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor
Sorry we were unable to incorporate this enhancement in the latest release.

It always bums the Insights Team out when we hear a user is disappointed with how Insights does something. But I’m glad you let us know, because it also inspires our team to make the product even better.

Thanks for reminding us how important this feature is for your workflows.

I can’t change how Insights is right now but…

I can assure you that we are actively working on enhancing filters in ArcGIS Insights. (Key word: actively.) The future of Insights filtering is looking bright!

Thank you for using ArcGIS Insights and for reaching out on Esri Community to let us know how we can make Insights better for you.

Best,

Ian
-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
Eric_Castonguay
New Contributor III

I was hoping I could use a work around with numbers and the month but it still uses string sorting which places 10, 11, and 12 ahead of 2, 3, and so on.

Eric_Castonguay_0-1682599641079.png

By adding a double hyphen to January through September this gets the list in the correct order, though it looks a bit messy.  

Eric_Castonguay_1-1682599806121.png

I had to use the double hyphen since I include a single hyphen on my "All Months" category (advanced filter (Month <> "X").  Without this included you can use a leading month number and include a special character on 1-9.  

0 Kudos