Filter by Map Zoom

Jump to solution
08-26-2021 10:11 AM
MichaelPickens
New Contributor III

I have a couple of filtering/zooming issues I am pretty sure are simple for most of you but I can't figure it out.  

1.) How do I get the tables to filter the data as I zoom into a map?  In other words if I zoom in on a map my tables should only be showing what you can see in the map.

2.) How do I get the map to quit zooming out when someone selects something into a table.  

To me right now I feel like the map is driven by the table.  I want the Tables to be driven by the map.  Otherwise I would just use Tableau or Power BI.  Anyone possibly can help here.  

Thanks and sorry for the noob questions.  I did search around with not much luck.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LauraBecht
Occasional Contributor
Hi Michael,

1. You know, I don't think that is something you can do in insights currently, certainly is something to request though. You can do this in dashboards, have the list filter as you zoom a map, find what you are looking for, have a link from the dashboard to the insights page, set up a predefined filter or two... You can sync multiple maps so as you zoom one the other also zooms, but insights is driven by selection, so if you select in any card be it a table, chart, map, if cross filters are on it will zoom for those map cards. If you have a predefined filter set up and select in the filter it will zoom to whatever is selected in the filter, and table cards will show only what the filter has selected.
2. Turn off the cross filter for the map. It only zooms when cross filter is on.
I hope you don't decide not to use insights. It is a very powerful analytical tool, I have been using it for almost two years now and still feel like I have so much to learn.
Regards,
Laura Becht

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LauraBecht
Occasional Contributor
Hi Michael,

1. You know, I don't think that is something you can do in insights currently, certainly is something to request though. You can do this in dashboards, have the list filter as you zoom a map, find what you are looking for, have a link from the dashboard to the insights page, set up a predefined filter or two... You can sync multiple maps so as you zoom one the other also zooms, but insights is driven by selection, so if you select in any card be it a table, chart, map, if cross filters are on it will zoom for those map cards. If you have a predefined filter set up and select in the filter it will zoom to whatever is selected in the filter, and table cards will show only what the filter has selected.
2. Turn off the cross filter for the map. It only zooms when cross filter is on.
I hope you don't decide not to use insights. It is a very powerful analytical tool, I have been using it for almost two years now and still feel like I have so much to learn.
Regards,
Laura Becht
YechiamWe
New Contributor II

Hi Laura,

Do you know if this is a requested feature (planned in some roadmap)?

0 Kudos
ScottSandusky
Esri Contributor

Filtering data across cards, according to the map's extent - this is currently not possible.

It is a great enhancement, and this will be considered for an upcoming release. Thank you for this.

0 Kudos