Cross Filtering from Graph Legend

11-09-2022 01:47 PM
JalaynePowers
New Contributor II

Hello. I'm creating a dashboard in Insights that includes a graph and a legend. I'd like to be able to select a value from the graph and have it filter the other cards on the dashboard, but whenever I select a feature on the legend of the graph, the card I want to filter shows an error. It works fine in reverse (if I select an item from the table in the card it filters the graph and legend). Is cross filtering from a graph legend just not possible? Thank you.

5 Replies
Scott_Aulen
Esri Contributor

@JalaynePowers,

Cross filtering from the graph legend is possible but perhaps there's something going wrong here. Can you send a screenshot of your example so I can try to recreate it? 

0 Kudos
JalaynePowers
New Contributor II

@Scott_Aulen Here is screen shot. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

Hi @JalaynePowers ,

Yes, Scott is correct: this should work. 😕

Sorry you're running into this problem. I may be missing it in your screenshot, but do you know what kind of error it's sending? 

Below is a Giffy of this working using a simple bar chart, map, and scatterplot. Your legend interactivity should function similar to this.

Looking at the screen capture, I spot two things that may be causing an issue:

1) Most likely: I see you have a few datasets loaded. Are the charts/tables using the same or related datasets? If not, they won't interact.

2) Less likely: your predefined filter has everything selected. Perhaps this is overriding your selection in the chart legend? (I doubt this. I will explore it further later today to double-check, though. 👍

Thanks for posting your question, and I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this hiccup! 

Best,

Ian

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
0 Kudos
JalaynePowers
New Contributor II

@Ian_Muehlenhaus@Scott_Aulen  I appreciate you both taking your time to help me trouble shoot this. I did figure out earlier that it seems it's just and issue with the timeseries graph for some reason. Every other graph style I've tried works fine, so I'm just going to go with a simple graph as pointed out above. The time series slider at the top is a little redundant anyway.  Thanks again to you both!

Ian_Muehlenhaus
Esri Contributor

@JalaynePowers I'm sorry the Time Series graphs are causing the issue. We will look into this further, and if it's a bug, we are grateful you found it so we can fix it. 

Thanks again for letting us know and thanks for choosing Insights for your interactive report building!

-------------------
Ian Muehlenhaus
Location Analytics
0 Kudos