can't export from Data Engineering -- "Something went wrong."

11-03-2022 09:51 AM
PaulCone2
Occasional Contributor III

I was excited to fire up Data Engineering in ArcGIS Insights Desktop to attempt to wrangle some data from Excel.  It's almost 400,000 records, all the Portland Fire & Rescue incidents for over a year.  I was happy to discover that it could correctly read in the numerous date/time fields, which is more than ArcGIS Pro could do (importing there brought in most of them as text fields).  But then I got the infamous "Something went wrong" error when running the model to export.  How can I get more information about what the error is?  Is there a log file someplace?

Paul Cone

City of Portland, Oregon

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scott_Aulen
Esri Contributor

@PaulCone2,

Sorry for the delayed response. Log files can found at these locations:

Windows    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Esri\ArcGIS Insights\logs

Mac    /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Esri/ArcGIS Insights/logs

You may need to change your log level to Debug and try the operation again.

Scott_Aulen_0-1668102551399.png

0 Kudos
PaulCone2

I can't seem to get any sort of problem messages in the log.  Debug didn't show anything so I went all the way to All.

0 Kudos
Scott_Aulen
Esri Contributor

Have you tried with the newly released Insights Desktop 2022.3?

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/insights/announcements/whats-new-insights-2022-3/

Several improvements to Data Engineering have been made. If you're still experiencing the issue we can take a closer look.

0 Kudos
PaulCone2

Updated to 2022.3, still Something went wrong.  The only fail I see is an http call in the Java log.

0 Kudos
MariamMoeen
Esri Contributor

Hi @PaulCone2,

Would you mind sending me a GIF or exact steps of the workflow that is causing the SWW error to come up on your end? That will help me troubleshoot the issue.

Best,
Mariam

0 Kudos
PaulCone2

Hi Mariam,

I have a .xlsx with 394039 rows and columns up to AT (about 175 MB).  It has a lot of date fields.  Here is a snip...  

PaulCone2_0-1670006504711.png

And the import...

PaulCone2_1-1670007386821.png

Interestingly I tried running this on a different computer before updating and it worked, so I'm assuming it was something with the local install.  And I just tried it in a new workbook and it works.  So I'm guessing there was some crud left over from the previous attempt, which was done under the previous version.  Also I see there are two additional tables to import for metadata and data dictionary.  So thank you for the improvements and I'll let you know if I get stuck again.

PaulCone2_2-1670007589063.png

Paul

PaulCone2

Ah I have not -- I was waiting for that version for Enterprise and missed that Desktop is available.  I'll give it a spin.

0 Kudos