DCAT data.json license values

205
3
Jump to solution
08-03-2021 06:15 PM
mpc
by
Occasional Contributor

At some point the license terms for our data.json response has changed to the following value for all datasets/apps/web maps:

"license":"No license provided. Request permission to use."

Where is this license value coming from? We've got the following  appearing in Open Data:

mpc_0-1628039274631.png

In ArcGIS Online the item has the following Credits and Terms of Use set:

mpc_1-1628039409473.png

mpc_2-1628039554293.png

 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Thanks @mpc for reaching out,

This is a bug and we'll work on a fix shortly. Hub is in the process of updating the mapping process for the DCAT feature. As you probably know, this feature automatically maps metadata values to the top-level keys for a given dataset based on the DCAT-US 1.1 non-federal specification. The previous value for `license` pointed to a defunct license URL, which was useless but didn't throw validation errors. It appears that there's a missing step where Hub should verify and use a structured license when possible.

In the meantime, you can override the default value within the JSON editor using a literal like “https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/” (see the image below). However, note that if you use multiple licenses and/or custom licenses, the DCAT feed will not represent your licenses accurately.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 3.53.54 PM.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Thanks @mpc for reaching out,

This is a bug and we'll work on a fix shortly. Hub is in the process of updating the mapping process for the DCAT feature. As you probably know, this feature automatically maps metadata values to the top-level keys for a given dataset based on the DCAT-US 1.1 non-federal specification. The previous value for `license` pointed to a defunct license URL, which was useless but didn't throw validation errors. It appears that there's a missing step where Hub should verify and use a structured license when possible.

In the meantime, you can override the default value within the JSON editor using a literal like “https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/” (see the image below). However, note that if you use multiple licenses and/or custom licenses, the DCAT feed will not represent your licenses accurately.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 3.53.54 PM.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
mpc
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for confirming it's a bug @ThomasHervey1 . Looking forward to the upcoming changes.

ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

We have deployed a fix for this issue. A structured license set on an item will now be inserted into the DCAT feed and should not cause DCAT-US 1.1 validation errors.