Clone and Replace a Hub Site

07-31-2020 08:03 AM
ChaseBarnard
New Contributor II

I would like to clone and then replace an existing Hub site as a workflow for editing and then deploying site updates. However, I don't want to end up with new Core Team and Content Groups I have to configure every time I do this. Can you use the existing groups from the original site? Has anyone done this successfully and would you mind sharing the Clone/Replace process you follow? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

are you cloning your site to make new sites (like it's a template) or are you cloning it to iterate on the same site as a sort of way to stage changes (like draft publishing)

edit: i'm dumb you gave me the answer in the title 🙂

we are a few weeks away from releasing a draft publishing flow in Hub Sites

ChaseBarnard
New Contributor II

The latter.  Draft publishing is a good way to put it.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd sit tight then! we have a feature coming out in a few weeks that should help. if you're up for it, i'd love to give you a quick look. shoot me an email at ghudgins@esri.com if you're interested.

0 Kudos
ChaseBarnard
New Contributor II

That's good to hear.  That should resolve the issue going forward.  I do have a more immediate need to replace my current site as my existing AGOL users have lost the ability to save changes. (I submitted a support ticket on this and it was recommended that I just create a new site to resolve the issue)  Do you have a basic process of what I need to do to manually clone and replace a site?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I wouldn't try to manually clone. Can you send me details about what went wrong (or your BUG number)? My email is ghudgins@esri.com 

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hello @Anonymous User  - I realize this topic is a bit dated, but when you say "we are a few weeks away from releasing a draft publishing flow in Hub Sites" - can you direct me to that resource? 

I can't seem to locate a "draft publishing flow" such that I too can clone our site without having to configure a new core team and content groups.  

We send a lot of data to our site via distributed collaborations and this will be a real time saver.

@ChaseBarnard 

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

for others that run into this sort of issue "Cannot save domain changes" error....

there was a bug....for a short time if you updated your URL we would redirect traffic through the new URL but the site item did not get the updated URL stored in it. for your URL's protection we throw the above error if we ever see these two are out of sync.

Chase and I met and used the equivalent of the AGO Assistant to edit the site item's data.json resource--updating the `subdomain` and `defaultHostname` to match the actual URL that the site was running on.

once we did that the site is once again editable. i hope not many of you need this info but wanted to close the loop