API Error Open Data Download

Jump to solution
06-09-2021 11:01 AM
Tony_J_Van_Der_Wielen
New Contributor II

We started seeing and API error in the download section of our Open Data page. It looks like there are no reported issues on Esri's end https://status.arcgis.com/.

apierror.jpg

Has anyone seen this? Or do you know how to fix it? This is happening with all our content.

Thank you!

Tony

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Hi @JosephBisig 
We understand that the "API Error" is generic and can be confusing. Have you enabled the "Local Projections" setting on the Hub site? Hub needs a numeric SRID and will throw an error when trying to query metadata without one. For example, on this item on Hub https://gisdata-piercecowa.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/pierce-county-council-districts/explore the Hub API returns an error when trying to get metadata. On that item's service

the Spatial Reference is

PROJCS["NAD_1983_HARN_StatePlane_Washington_South_FIPS_4602_Feet",GEOGCS["GCS_North_American_1983_HARN",DATUM["D_North_American_1983_HARN",SPHEROID["GRS_1980",6378137.0,298.257222101]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0.0],UNIT["Degree",0.0174532925199433]],PROJECTION["Lambert_Conformal_Conic"],PARAMETER["False_Easting",1640416.666666667],PARAMETER["False_Northing",0.0],PARAMETER["Central_Meridian",-120.5],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_1",45.83333333333334],PARAMETER["Standard_Parallel_2",47.33333333333334],PARAMETER["Latitude_Of_Origin",45.33333333333334],UNIT["Foot_US",0.3048006096012192]],VERTCS["NAVD_1988",VDATUM["North_American_Vertical_Datum_1988"],PARAMETER["Vertical_Shift",0.0],PARAMETER["Direction",1.0],UNIT["Foot_US",0.3048006096012192]]

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 6.48.59 PM.png

I believe that you'll either need to make an adjustment to the service's spatial reference or disable local projections, which will serve results in EPSG 4326.

View solution in original post

45 Replies
ShelleyWitte
New Contributor II

I'm having the same issue, Tony. I thought it might be a security thing for our agencies but the same issue occurs on my home computer. 

DeborahDAVID
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have the same issu. I have already post for this problem this week but no reply.... 😪

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-hub-questions/download-doesn-t-work-with-gallery/m-p/1065815#M4... 

0 Kudos
Alex-Santos
Occasional Contributor

I also have the same issue with some of our private layers. The data is point-in-time so I'm resolving by uploading the layers to AGOL rather than point to AGS service.

0 Kudos
LucasLefebvre
New Contributor

@Tony_J_Van_Der_Wielen Were you able to figure out why this is happening? I just encountered this same exact problem today. I have 10+ other Hub sites and I have downloaded data from them without an issue today as well. 

0 Kudos
Tony_J_Van_Der_Wielen
New Contributor II

Esri said it was a problem on their end of things and have resolved the issue. They would not give me the details, but if this is not resloved, I would open a ticket with them.

KevinDown
Esri Contributor

Check the projection of the layer and if it is different to the local projection then disable the local projection in your hub site data setting.   Else republish with your local projection.

0 Kudos
MeghanLeavey
New Contributor II

We just starting having this problem today. Logged a case with tech support, there appear to be a bug attached to this issue (BUG-000141153). No resolution yet. When using the Chrome browser developer tools, the 2 main errors I get are a 404 (Not found error) when I load the dataset's main download page - the data is in the AGO and is shared with the open data site is visible on the web map and within ArcGIS Online.  The second error is when the user goes to download the data, the API error shows on the download options and and additional 500 (Internal Server Error) populates. 

MeghanLeavey_1-1630444663131.png

0 Kudos
MeghanLeavey
New Contributor II

After further researching and looking into the network traffic it seems that when the Hub is trying to GET the Request URL for the layers on our open data site, it is not "getting" the entire URL. The layer ID is dropped (e.g. instead of https://opendata.arcgis.com/api/v3/datasets/1bc60d61f55644dc9320624a8fbea521_0 being the Request URL our HUB site is trying to GET https://opendata.arcgis.com/api/v3/datasets/1bc60d61f55644dc9320624a8fbea521 )

Which creates the first resulting in the "404 Not Found" error. The additional error is a "500 Internal Server Error" when you click on the open data download icon and an API Error message instead of being able to download the data. 

I have been able to test this with another Open Data site on which our GIS data is accessible. Our site gets the API error but on the other site I can download the same data from the same feature services without issue. 

How does this get resolved?

0 Kudos
ThomasHervey1
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue with downloads. We're actively working on a bug fix where gallery cards are linking to the wrong dataset view. You may see that the dataset page will load, but downloads will not because it has the wrong layer information, as @MeghanLeavey pointed out. Meghan, can you provide a public URL for content on your Hub site that is having this issue?

0 Kudos