Incoming Networkfleet stream not filtering by definition

10-20-2021 06:56 AM
EliasMartinson
New Contributor II

Windows environment, Enterprise 10.9.1, Networkfleet connector 10.4 v9

I'm working to get a dashboard going for our snow response team for this winter. I started with a simple workflow (attached as "simple.png") of Networkfleet input to Field Mapper to Feature Service output. This successfully sent all incoming data into the feature service. I then added a Field Enricher, which I have not yet had success with, but the incoming data still flowed into the feature service. I started looking into the Field Enricher problem and found a lot of talk about using a filter on the incoming Networkfleet stream, not as a solution to my Field Enricher problem, but as a means to focus the data stream for specific needs. I decided I would try this to help with some duplication I was seeing in the table.

When I added the gps or gps-flat definition filters, my output stopped. I decided to try creating filters for all of the -flat Networkfleet definitions, with a JSON output for each, and an unfiltered JSON output (service screenshot attached as "vnfFiltering.png", sample output attached as "unfiltered2021_10_20.txt"). The unfiltered output is the only file receiving data; none of the filters are working. There are no errors in the logs associated with this (logs.png).

I also tried this from the connector documentation and came up empty:

Logging Configuration

• Use com.esri.geoevent.adapter.networkfleet.NetworkfleetMessageTranslator at the DEBUG level to see incoming XML and outgoing GeoEvent log messages. These messages can be used to determine if the Verizon Networkfleet Adapter is:
    • Receiving XML messages from Verizon Networkfleet
    • Parsing the XML correctly into GeoEvents
  • Use com.esri.geoevent.adapter.networkfleet.NetworkfleetInboundAdapter at the DEBUG or TRACE level to see all other log details.
    • DEBUG will show how the XML is being interpreted from the transport.
    • TRACE will show all logical steps in the adapter.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanWade
Esri Contributor

Hello Elias,

I am not certain we are working with version 10.9.1 just yet, but maybe you are.

As for version 10.9 if you are using the Filter and drilling down to a definition name ($DEFINITION_NAME) which is a property filter there is an existing bug: [BUG-000141761: Filter expressions configured do not support the internal properties of event records].

It might be possible to filter on enough field names to create a distinction between definitions the workflow (filter) would still work.

While also reviewing the provided screen capture, vnfFiltering, I believe you might want to take advantage of the GeoEvent Manager Choice Filter which is new at 10.9. This behavior still exist here, but I wanted to make you aware of a great new filter that is cleaner and more efficient for the workflow.

What are choices?
https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/geoevent/latest/analyze/choices.htm

GeoEvent 10.9: Introducing Choice Elements
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-geoevent-server-blog/geoevent-10-9-introducing-choice-elements/...

EliasMartinson
New Contributor II
Thanks for the info about choices, that's looks very useful!
0 Kudos
EricIronside
Esri Regular Contributor

BUG-000141761 was fixed via patches so you should be able to patch your version of GeoEvent and that functionality will work again.  Another option is to write the GeoEvent Definition name to a string field and filter/choice on that field. 

0 Kudos
EliasMartinson
New Contributor II
Hi Eric,
I found this patch (https://support.esri.com/en/download/7934) that is supposed to fix it, but I'm running a newer version of Geoevent for which I can't find any patches. If you know of one, will you point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
DanWade
Esri Contributor

For clarity ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1 has not been officially released yet. If we are in fact running version 10.9 I do not see a patch for this yet so, development is perhaps still working on a patch. Version 10.9.1 should be released soon.

Eric provided a simpler workaround in his post.

0 Kudos
EliasMartinson
New Contributor II
You're correct, we're on 10.9, not 10.9.1. I went through the 10.8, 10.8.1, and 10.9 updates pretty quickly and just got ahead of myself. I'm definitely going to try the workaround Eric suggested, I just thought that if a patch was available, that would be the preferred way to go. I will look for a patch or 10.9.1 in the near future. Thanks for the insights and advice!
0 Kudos