Help to create a Street Sweeping Tracking System

Jump to solution
07-20-2022 08:51 AM
KamillePreto
Occasional Contributor II

Hello all!

I'm not sure if I'm posting my question on the correct board, but this was my best guess.

Our Highway Dept is interested in setting up a way to track our Street Sweeper trucks. They aren't necessarily interested in seeing where they are in real-time (watching the tracks live), but they are interested in being able to create some sort of report that says "(x) road complete". I would assume the first step and best way to go about doing this would to set up trackers on the vehicles.

I have set up many web apps, dashboards, even network analyst so that our Health Dept and Senior Centers can run routes when needed. But I have not done anything like this before. Can somebody point me in the right direction on what my best option would be?

Again, I just want to emphasize that the important thing for this project is just indicating that roads have been sweeped, or have not. Not necessarily watching the tracks in real-time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffSilberberg
Occasional Contributor III

So the first thing I would think you need to work out is how to track the vehicle.  

Options might be -- 

-- 2-Way radio with GPS reporting capabilities. Agency Radio System ? 

-- Built in tracking through a service from the vehicle manufacturer.  

-- ODBII plug in trackers that use Cellular back bone.

-- Vehicle telematics through a 3rd party service.  

Then you didn't say if you have Enterprise geoEvent or Online Velocity but you need to define a feed for the raw data and from that build your analytic and finally output the needed layer or stream file.   

Hope this get's you started -- 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JeffSilberberg

So the first thing I would think you need to work out is how to track the vehicle.  

Options might be -- 

-- 2-Way radio with GPS reporting capabilities. Agency Radio System ? 

-- Built in tracking through a service from the vehicle manufacturer.  

-- ODBII plug in trackers that use Cellular back bone.

-- Vehicle telematics through a 3rd party service.  

Then you didn't say if you have Enterprise geoEvent or Online Velocity but you need to define a feed for the raw data and from that build your analytic and finally output the needed layer or stream file.   

Hope this get's you started -- 

0 Kudos
KamillePreto

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your response. I don't have either Enterprise geoEvent or Online Velocity at this moment, I've never used them, which is why I'm reaching out for some help, as I'm unsure where to begin on a project I've never done before.

I do know that the street sweeper vehicles have GPS already - I don't know what kind yet.

Looks like I have a lot of research to do.

0 Kudos
JeffSilberberg

Yu might look at the Winter Weather Package from Esri. I would hazard a guess that there is not much different between tracking what streets are plowed and what streets are swept.

But yes, you need to determine what you have in the Vehicles already and where that data is going if anywhere . 

KamillePreto

That was my initial thought too - to look at the Plowing solution and just utilize it for our Street Sweepers since it's the same concept. But again, I'm unfamiliar with the process since tracking is totally new to me.

When you say to determine where the data is going, what do you mean by that? Do you mean a dashboard, or an application, etc?

0 Kudos
JeffSilberberg

By where the data is going I am referring to where the devices you have think  are in the building are currently sending the data -- 

Field Apps is a good solution if the driver / operators are going to interact with the device and actually use it.  But other than a telemetry input when the brush / plow resumes the normal approach to this is transparent to the operator. 

0 Kudos
KamillePreto

Yes, I thought of that being a potential issue as well. However, I think this may be the cheaper, and faster solution with my current capabilities/knowledge. As long as I can get an understanding to what happens to the tracks after 30 days.

Thank you again for your help.

0 Kudos
KamillePreto

Update - I actually just did a lot of digging, and I found that you can actually do mobile tracking through FieldMaps, as long as you have a Mobile Worker license, or an add-on Tracker license to an existing license. This basically enables tracks to be turned off and on in Field Maps, and those tracks are created as a layer. Then an Admin can use the TrackViewer Web App to view and export the tracks into Track Views for other users.

This sounds like it could potentially be what we are looking for, since it's not as indepth as the Snow Removal solution. The only thing I need to look more into - is location tracks are only stored in your org for 30 days.

0 Kudos