Connect ArcGIS Maps for SharePoint to Portal/Enterprise instead of AGOL?

Jump to solution
04-13-2021 08:44 AM
PamelaLocke1
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

I was wondering if you can connect Maps for SharePoint to a Portal/Enterprise log-in, instead of ArcGIS online? 

Thanks!

Pamela 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Maps for SharePoint on Prem (Server or Foundation) Supports both ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise connections.

ArcGIS Maps for SharePoint 365 only supports ArcGIS Online connections (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/maps-for-sharepoint/office-365/install-and-configure/supported-environment...)

Keep on keeping on!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Maps for SharePoint on Prem (Server or Foundation) Supports both ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise connections.

ArcGIS Maps for SharePoint 365 only supports ArcGIS Online connections (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/maps-for-sharepoint/office-365/install-and-configure/supported-environment...)

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
AndresEcheverri
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jon

Are there plans for adding ArcGIS Enterprise to ArcGIS Maps for SharePoint 365 in the near future?. Thanks, Andres

FionaRenton1
Occasional Contributor II

I also have this question

JonEmch
Esri Regular Contributor

I can confirm that ArcGIS for SharePoint modern supports arcgis enterprise connections. As of 10.13.2021 the documentation does not include this. I am working on getting this fixed.

@FionaRenton1 

Keep on keeping on!
0 Kudos
MarcGraham2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @JonEmch or @AdeyinkaAdekunle ,

Can you please advise of any timeframe for ArcGIS Maps for SharePoint 365 to support ArcGIS Enterprise? As an organisation with thousands of ArcGIS Enterprise members and all our key datasets in Enterprise, using ArcGIS Online with Sharepoint is not an option. 

Most med-large orgs are moving to Microsoft 365 for primary services such as AD and Sharepoint, so not having an integration between 365 Sharepoint and ArcGIS Enterprise is a real problem.

Thanks,

Marc

0 Kudos
JuliaBalakirova1
New Contributor III

We were able to enable ArcGIS for SharePoint using the new vewrsion of the app available in the SharePoint store. What we still can not figre out is what kind of permissions have to be assigned from the SP Admin side in order for me to be able to geotag. While geotagging got enabled, I still get a message that i don't have sufficient permission even though the SP Admin assigned me everything he could think of.

I already have links to ESRI article that proved to be of little help to my SP Admin. So, please don't post them as a response to my post.

So, for those who are trying to deploy ArcMaps for SharePoint:

1. use the newer version of the App in the SP store. 
  2. definately works with 10.8.1 Portal version. I can' not attenst for other Portal versions, but for this one it works fine
  3. Makes sure you know who your SharePoint Admin is. ASk them to enable the app in the SP site for it to become available in the list of apps.
  4. There some "group" from the SP side that has to have permissions enabled certain way in order to: a) enable geotagging and b) allow users to actually use that geotagging. 

My personal experience with trying to deploy this app - ArcMaps for SharePoint are the worst explained by ESRI deployment of ESRI products. Other than a single link to a one or two page somewhere in their instructions - you won't find to much helpful info anywhere else.  The problem is not in difficulty of using the actual app once it is deployed, but in a bare-minimum of instructions on how to deploy it from the Sharepoint Admin stand point. Remember, that your SP Admins might know nothing about the GIS or what the adpp itself is supposed to do.

RaajRaaj
Esri Contributor

Hi Julia--

Thanks for your feedback. Regarding the issue you are experiencing with geotag/geosearch, can you please let me know if your SP account was added to the term store by your SP admin? If no, can you please request your SP admin to add your SP account to the term store and then try the geotag/geosearch feature?

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Raaj

0 Kudos