Symbology Not Dynamic/Responsive to Changes in Measure Range

06-07-2022 01:10 PM
pacyleterson
New Contributor II

I am creating a Census tract level choropleth map and running into an issue where the symbology classification is not responsive to changing values on the map when slicers are updated. For instance, when I use a switch function to change the metric displayed from something that has a 0-100 range to a different measure that has a 0-10,000 range, the symbology classification does not respond to change, meaning that the map just goes to grey if the values of the selected metric are outside of the 0-100 range of values already set. Another example is that I have a measure that is the count of individuals in each census tract - in some states the counts can range from 0-150 and in other states the counts can range from 0-15,000. If I set the symbology in a state where the range is at the 0-150 level, then change slicer to a different state where the range is 0-15,000, the map effectively becomes useless because the tracts that have values over 150 become greyed out. 

4 Replies
pacyleterson
New Contributor II

This seems to be the same issue that @KevinRbi mentions here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-for-power-bi-questions/symbology-resets-when-i-apply-a-filter-s... but I do not see any solution posted. 

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@pacyleterson - Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual. I was looking over this issue and I would like to help out if I can!

I am currently looking over this issue and the one you linked. I will report back soon with my findings to see what is happening. In that other linked thread, there was a known issue where symbology was resetting itself when it was applied. However, this case might be slightly different. 

I will be in touch soon! 

Also, if possible, can you post your dataset here (or at least a fake dataset) so I can test using your steps? 

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
pacyleterson
New Contributor II

Hi @AnthonyLatini

Thanks for looking into this. After posting this, I found this thread which sounds likes it is the same issue I am experiencing. You mention that this is a known issue that is being worked on. Are there any status updates you can share? 

It is only the particular post by @KevinRbi  in the other thread that seems like it is the same as my issue, not the overall issue described in the thread. 

I am unable to share the dataset due to privacy concerns, but if possible will try to put together a modified version to post. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
KevinRbi
New Contributor II

Hi @pacyleterson and @AnthonyLatini - 

I gave up on this issue/thread quite a while ago. I popped back in to the forum today for the first time in over a year and saw @pacyleterson's mention of my initial issue, which remains unresolved in my workbook.

Have either of you been successful in addressing the problem?

-Kevin

0 Kudos