Power BI ArcGIS visual maps 2010 Census Tract boundaries but not 2020 Census Tracts

06-02-2022 07:29 AM
CHatchell
New Contributor II

I have a current ArcGIS visual that is using census tract boundaries as the location type. The dataset that contains the census tracts is for ACS 2019 population estimates for a single county and uses 2010 census tract boundaries. I recently downloaded updated ACS population estimates which are for 2020 and the census tracts boundaries have changed. When I try to use the census tract as the location type for the 2020 data I am noticing that not all census tracts are mapped and some are incorrect. 

The screenshot below shows the difference between using the 2010 census tracts as the location type vs the 2020 census tracts. Also attached csv files for each set of data.

Wondering if the visual may not support using 2020 census tracts and if there is a workaround or fix for this issue.

CHatchell_1-1654179932098.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual. I was looking over this issue and I would like to help out if I can!

I am going to log this as an issue for our project and investigate how we are pulling data into our component. Currently, this data is being pulled from Esri's GeoEnrichment services. We merely pull the data in from their resources/servers. (Reference: GeoEnrichment | Enrich Data with Global Data (esri.com)

I will let know you know soon if this is intentional or a if this is a potential bug. Thank you for bringing this to our attention! 

CHatchell
New Contributor II

@AnthonyLatini Hi Anthony, just checking to see if there is any update on this issue or possible workarounds to use the 2020 census tracts. We are receiving several requests to update our map visuals using 2020 census tracts. Thanks for assisting with this issue.

0 Kudos
DanielMcMartin
New Contributor

I am interested in the solution as well.  I am mapping data using 2020 census block group definitions.  It appears that ArcGIS for Power BI is still using 2010 census definitions, so some of my data don't get plotted.  Ideally ArcGIS would get updated (if that is in fact the issue), but maybe not in time for my current deliverable? Is there a way to achieve same thing using 2020 census data feature layers?  

0 Kudos
AndrewLau
New Contributor II

@DanielMcMartin - We just updated the census tract to be 2020 in June. Could you check if the issue still persists?

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Hi there @CHatchell and @DanielMcMartin  - Thank you for checking in! We are currently working out some projects in our second semester planning. I am going to do my best to get this in so that it fits into our next release and see what it will take to update this information.

I will keep you both posted on when that will be released. I appreciate the patience and sticking with us through this! 

0 Kudos
AndrewLau
New Contributor II

Hi @CHatchell - My name is Andrew and I am a dev on the Power Platform team. I loaded both CSV files. The PopEstimates2019.csv does not display all the boundaries but the PopEstimates2020.csv does. Could you confirm which file uses the 2010 census tracts and which one uses the 2020. Could you also share where the 2020 ACS population estimates are downloaded from?

0 Kudos
CHatchell
New Contributor II

Hi @AndrewLau - The 2020 census tract boundaries are now displayed correctly. I noticed this started working on Tue 6/28. Also saw this post from last Friday noting the 2010 tracts are no longer mapped accurately in the latest version. It appears an upgrade was made to start using the 2020 census tracts, is that correct?

0 Kudos
AndrewLau
New Contributor II

@CHatchell - That is awesome news! Yes, the upgrade was made in June 2022. Here are some links with more information on the update and census tract changes between 2010 and 2020. 

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/esri-demographics/developers/esris-2022-updated-demographi...

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-living-atlas/mapping/acs-2016-2020-updated-boundari...

pacyleterson
New Contributor II

@AndrewLau Thanks for posting those articles. They indicate that the 2010 Census boundaries are still available. Is there a way to have those applied in ArcMaps for Power BI visuals? 

0 Kudos