Error with custom reference layer

04-28-2022 07:24 AM
DavidLeitson
New Contributor

Hi, I'm having a problem creating a map with the following custom reference layer from ArcGIS Online:

https://miamigis.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=3341918a688c4e609c82a6dbe77aef2f

Is it not possible to use a custom reference layer that has geographic units that do not correspond to known geographies such as zip codes, block groups, etc? 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@DavidLeitson - Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual. I was looking over this issue and I would like to help out if I can!

Would it be possible to make this a public layer? I would like to test this out on my end and see what results I get. Also, if possible, could you post some screenshots of what you are seeing? 

Depending on the layer, it might not be supported in ArcGIS for Power BI. However, most layers are supported in the visual. 

0 Kudos
DavidLeitson
New Contributor

Hi there Anthony, thank you for your help! I believe the layer is already public. I see the sharing level is set to "Everyone (public)."

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@DavidLeitson - Awesome! Thank you for verifying that is was public. 

I was able to add this to our map using the following map ID: 3341918a688c4e609c82a6dbe77aef2f 

Let me know if you can add it on your end using that map ID! 

AnthonyLatini_0-1651526853877.png

0 Kudos
DavidLeitson
New Contributor

Hi Anthony, yes I'm able to add the map to ArcGIS for PowerBI. But I'm not able to link my data to the map. The location field should be TARGET_FID or TARGET_STR. Either one. 

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

Ah! It sounds like you are looking to create a join between the Power BI data and your reference layer correct? If so, you should be able to drag those fields into the Join layer field well and make a join between them. Have a look at the link below if this is what you were looking to do. 

Join layers—ArcGIS for Power BI | Documentation

If not, you can map custom boundaries to a certain degree. Take a look here at this documentation for adjusting your data to correspond to different administrative boundaries. 

Prepare your data—ArcGIS for Power BI | Documentation

Let me know if this helps! 

0 Kudos
DavidLeitson
New Contributor

Hi Anthony, would it be possible to schedule a phone call? This doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

To be clear: I would like to create an ArcGIS for PowerBI map where I use the custom reference layer above. I would like the custom reference to be a choropleth boundary map. Yes, I want the map to be connected  my PowerBI data and the color of the map should correspond to a measure in the data. And when slicers change that impact the measure in the data, i would like the color of the cholorpleth boundaries to change. Does that make sense?

When i follow the steps from the link called "Join layers," I'm not able to customize the symbology of the custom reference layer. 

0 Kudos
DavidLeitson
New Contributor

Just to be clear, I tried to follow the steps outlined in the Join layers link. I followed the steps. However, when I add a measure from my data to the "color" well nothing happens. Also, the map is unresponsive to slicers that are on the report. 

0 Kudos
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@DavidLeitson - Sure! That would be okay. Please send me an email and we can coordinate a time to chat about this. I think we might getting into some territory that hasn't been implemented yet into the visual. It would be good if I can see a demo of this and to chat about it. 

Looking forward to chatting! 

0 Kudos
DavidLeitson
New Contributor

Thanks so much Anthony! I Looking forward to it as well!

0 Kudos