access to the resource is forbidden, Power bi Desktop.

05-02-2022 12:33 PM
DiegoLlamasOlivares
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I am connecting to Power bi desktop using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1. I am able to connect to Power bi,

Untitled.png

after I connect and I try to add data, i notice that there is no data there (should be because I am connecting to my enterprise, right?)

2.png 

So i get data using on web option 

3.png

I add rest service using URL.

4.png 

And I add this error. 

5.png

Why is this happening, i am connecting to my enterprise, I am using an administrator user, my services is shared with this user. I do not understand why i am getting this forbidden issue if I am connected to my enterprise through prower bi with my user. I was able to use  search data web option using my rest service URL but adding the token. using it like that I was able to do that, but if I do not use that option I am not able to make it work.

am i doing something wrong?

regards.

DLL

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AnthonyLatini
Esri Contributor

@DiegoLlamasOlivares - Hello there! My name is Anthony and I am a product engineer on the ArcGIS for Power BI visual. I was looking over this issue and I would like to help out if I can!

This particular workflow is related to Power BI Desktop itself and not ArcGIS for Power BI (which is our mapping visualization in Power BI). Connecting to ArcGIS Enterprise within ArcGIS for Power BI is independent of connecting to data sources in Power BI Desktop.

For example, if you were to add X and Y data to the map, you could then add a reference layer from your organization and display/interact with it on the map. However, connecting to raw data sitting in ArcGIS Enterprise may not work because of access tokens, connectivity, and other issues (some of which you are encountering here). 

You might need to work with your ArcGIS Enterprise administrator to allow access from external sources such as Power BI Desktop. However, I am not sure that is a supported workflow within ArcGIS Enterprise and Power BI Desktop. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions! 

0 Kudos