ArcGIS for Excel not exporting coordinates

Jump to solution
07-20-2022 08:00 PM
AndrewKarafotias
New Contributor

In the new ArcGIS for Excel Add-In tool I have added a list of address to the map and want to export the XY coordinates.  The features mention that if there are points the coordinates will be exported to a new sheet within the current excel file.  It does create the new sheet however the coordinates are not being exported as they were in ArcGIS for Office.  Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Export data

You can export information about the selected features to a new worksheet in the current workbook. When exporting selected rows, they are saved in a new Excel worksheet (.xlsx) in the current workbook. Exporting to an .xlsx file creates an Excel table in a new worksheet that includes data for each feature selected on the map. If the selection contains point features, the table will include the coordinates for each feature. Polyline and polygon geometries are exported.

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Gaurav-Singh
Esri Contributor

In the 'ArcGIS for Excel', the export tool wouldn't export the coordinates of the addresses into the new worksheet. The export tool exports the selected feature data on the map from your current excel file to a new sheet within the current excel file. If your original sheet contains coordinates, then you would see those coordinates in the exported new worksheet. We'll update the doc accordingly. Thanks for informing us about it.

Please use ArcGIS for Excel custom function, =ARCGIS.GETCOORDINATES to convert addresses to coordinates. Before you use the ArcGIS for Excel custom function, please ensure that you are Sign-in to ArcGIS for Excel.

Here are the steps to convert the addresses in your table to coordinates using ArcGIS for Excel custom function - 
1) Sign in to 'ArcGIS for Excel' (A4Excel).
2) Convert the Excel table in your worksheet to Cell range (click Table Design tab in Excel Ribbon > Tools > Convert to range)
Columns created using the custom function couldn't be appended to the existing table. This is a limitation from Microsoft - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/-spill-error-table-formula-8bfa1758-1be4-42f4-a974-c4d4bc...
Either write the formula out of the table or convert the table to a range.

3) Run =ARCGIS.GETCOORDINATES function to convert addresses in your worksheet to coordinates.

Coordinates2.gif

ArcGIS for Excel Team

View solution in original post

Gaurav-Singh
Esri Contributor

In the Sign-in window, during Signing, select the option 'Keep me signed in' - this will keep you signed in.

GauravSingh_0-1658531844143.png

ArcGIS for Excel Team

PRAJESHPJ
New Contributor

Hi, I will be much grateful if you can you please resolve my issue. When I am trying to add the GEOJSON file into ArcGIS for Excel using ESRI JSON Geometry layer option , I get a error which says "missing geometry".  How can I import geometry layer in the JSON file or the ArcGIS for Excel sheet. The JSON file was created from a shapefile which has multi polygon features which co-ordinate.

6 Replies
Gaurav-Singh
Esri Contributor

In the 'ArcGIS for Excel', the export tool wouldn't export the coordinates of the addresses into the new worksheet. The export tool exports the selected feature data on the map from your current excel file to a new sheet within the current excel file. If your original sheet contains coordinates, then you would see those coordinates in the exported new worksheet. We'll update the doc accordingly. Thanks for informing us about it.

Please use ArcGIS for Excel custom function, =ARCGIS.GETCOORDINATES to convert addresses to coordinates. Before you use the ArcGIS for Excel custom function, please ensure that you are Sign-in to ArcGIS for Excel.

Here are the steps to convert the addresses in your table to coordinates using ArcGIS for Excel custom function - 
1) Sign in to 'ArcGIS for Excel' (A4Excel).
2) Convert the Excel table in your worksheet to Cell range (click Table Design tab in Excel Ribbon > Tools > Convert to range)
Columns created using the custom function couldn't be appended to the existing table. This is a limitation from Microsoft - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/-spill-error-table-formula-8bfa1758-1be4-42f4-a974-c4d4bc...
Either write the formula out of the table or convert the table to a range.

3) Run =ARCGIS.GETCOORDINATES function to convert addresses in your worksheet to coordinates.

Coordinates2.gif

ArcGIS for Excel Team
AndrewKarafotias
New Contributor

Thank you for that information.  I was able to get that to work in the new Add-In on my home PC.  One thing I noticed after opening and closing a sheet with that formula saved, the map needed to be reset and logged in again.  If there was a way to stay signed into my online account that would save time in the future.

Since my company has blocked the Microsoft Store I will continue to use the legacy ArcGIS for Office until they allow access.  I assume that will continue to function after the end of support?

Thank you.

Gaurav-Singh
Esri Contributor

In the Sign-in window, during Signing, select the option 'Keep me signed in' - this will keep you signed in.

GauravSingh_0-1658531844143.png

ArcGIS for Excel Team
LaurenOvans
New Contributor

I tried to do the same function although I keep getting #value errors. Anyone have the same issue?

0 Kudos
Gaurav-Singh
Esri Contributor

Please post the error message and ArcGIS Function's respective parameter values (dummy values would be fine) here. Here's how to obtain the error message - Select the Value error cell, and the exclamation mark Icon will display, hover over the exclamation mark, and an error message will display.

GauravSingh_0-1685578134664.png

ArcGIS for Excel Team
0 Kudos
PRAJESHPJ
New Contributor

Hi, I will be much grateful if you can you please resolve my issue. When I am trying to add the GEOJSON file into ArcGIS for Excel using ESRI JSON Geometry layer option , I get a error which says "missing geometry".  How can I import geometry layer in the JSON file or the ArcGIS for Excel sheet. The JSON file was created from a shapefile which has multi polygon features which co-ordinate.