Autopopulate UTM (NAD83) coordinates

Jump to solution
06-08-2022 07:31 AM
AJ_devaccount
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to host a NAD 83 (Zone 17N) point feature layer in AGOL, and use that in Field Maps to get GPS metadata such as UTM coordinates (in NAD83) and horizontal accuracy? For the most part we'll be using the default GPS receivers in iPads/tablets/cell phones. And for special cases use an external GPS receiver.

So far from research, it seems only the default WGS lat/long can be recorded?

Thanks very much

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Larry
by
New Contributor III

Yes, you can record UTM Zone 17 coordinates.

You have to use a UTM Zone 17 basemap for your map but there is a trick to it.

The Field Maps editor does not like the UTM base map when you are setting up your arcade code so leave the default base map until you have your forms created and then switch the base maps to the UTM one before you save your map and create your offline area.

in each of your form elements for east (.x), north (.y) and elevation (.z)
edit this arcade code to capture the coordinates

// elevation (.z) example arcade
var geom = Geometry($feature)
if (!IsEmpty(geom)) {
return geom.z
} else {
return null
}

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Larry
by
New Contributor III

Yes, you can record UTM Zone 17 coordinates.

You have to use a UTM Zone 17 basemap for your map but there is a trick to it.

The Field Maps editor does not like the UTM base map when you are setting up your arcade code so leave the default base map until you have your forms created and then switch the base maps to the UTM one before you save your map and create your offline area.

in each of your form elements for east (.x), north (.y) and elevation (.z)
edit this arcade code to capture the coordinates

// elevation (.z) example arcade
var geom = Geometry($feature)
if (!IsEmpty(geom)) {
return geom.z
} else {
return null
}

AJ_devaccount
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much @Larry, does arcade autopopulate a field, so that when a feature layer is exported, the values will be saved in the field? Or would it just temporarily appear in the pop-ups?

0 Kudos
Larry
by
New Contributor III

the values are stored in your attribute table the same as any form field that you fill in manually.

janderson_ksninc
Occasional Contributor

This is a great script! I need to do the same this but I'm working in WGS84 and would like the coordinates displayed as decimal degrees. Do you have a solution for this?

0 Kudos
Larry
by
New Contributor III
It's been awhile since I have looked at Arcade but if I am recalling correctly WGS84 Lat/Long in decimal degrees is the default coordinate system if you are using the ESRI basemaps.

Larry
0 Kudos