ArcExplorer launch from QR code inconsistent between devices

04-14-2021 03:16 AM
MatthewGuilliatt
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a public webmap I need to share through a link/QR code but having tested it with my colleagues it behaves differently on different devices. On my phone (Samsung s9) it opens straight in the Explorer app which is great. On my colleagues phone (iphone 12) it will only take her to the "download ArcExplorer onto your phone" page despite the fact she already has it installed. On another older iphone it took us to the download ArcExplorer page and after 5secs a pop up appeared prompting us to open the app, which then took us to the map. On a Google Pixel phone it also worked fine, once the app had been installed. None of us are logged into an account on the app, to mimic the experience for a member of the public.

Any ideas why this would be? My link is https://explorer.arcgis.app?itemID=defb2c1d5f0746f9abb60b77c708c6dc 

Tags (2)
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey @MatthewGuilliatt ,

The link you have above looks good. Although the app links usually behave as expected on iOS and Android devices, we have seen rare instances where things don't work (as you are experiencing now). Unfortunately, when this happens, the issue seems to be related to quirks within the operating system itself and not something we can address. With that said, the issues usually resolves itself or can be attributed to an offending 3rd party app.

Here are some questions to help get the issue resolved on the iPhone 12 you are seeing the issue with.

• How is the link being opened? Is it a link opened from another app or is it a QR code scanned by the native Camera app? 
  • What OS version is the the iPhone 12 on?
  • What is the default browser on the device? Safari?
  • Was the link opened before the app was installed? Or was the app already installed the first time the link was opened?
  • Have they tried uninstalling / reinstalling Explorer? (The OS does some magic on install that allows the links to work)
  • Do they see the smart banner at the top of the web page if they pull the page down?JoelWhitney1_0-1618409354036.png

Joel
0 Kudos
MatthewGuilliatt
New Contributor III

Hi Joel

A lot of the time people are scanning the QR code before the app is installed as it is their first time using it - it sounds like that could be the issues from your post? Should I provide a separate QR code that just links them to the download page?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey @MatthewGuilliatt,

That may be the safest bet to have two links. We have not seen this issue with enough consistency to log an issue with Apple but my guess is the OS is remembering that the link was opened in Safari first and defaults to Safari the second time the link is opened rather than opening Explorer. If you're seeing this issue with some consistency I would be interested to hear back if the two link approach solves the issue.

Joel

0 Kudos
MatthewGuilliatt
New Contributor III

Our three office iPhone users had the same issue - so I will try the two link approach and let you know. What would be the link to use to just take them to that download screen?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey @MatthewGuilliatt 

For new installs

You can try the link below. This is the link we have behind the "Download on the App Store" button. This will take them directly to the App Store after-which they should be able to open the Explorer app link you have in your original question.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/explorer-for-arcgis/id860708788

JoelWhitney1_0-1619120816980.png

For users who already have it installed

For those who already have the app installed, you can try a couple different ways to get the OS to open Explorer by default without uninstalling and reinstalling.

1. Tap the blue OPEN button in the Smart Banner seen in the image below.  You may need to swipe the page down for the Smart Banner to appear

JoelWhitney1_1-1619120846976.png

2. Press and hold on the app link from an email, text message, etc. This will present the option on how you'd like to open the link. If you chose the option "Open in Explorer" it should remember this for the next time. Here's an example of me pressing and holding the link from a note in the Notes app.

JoelWhitney1_2-1619120886961.png

0 Kudos
MatthewGuilliatt
New Contributor III

Thanks Joel. Though I'm guessing your second suggestion won't work with a link from a QR code?

0 Kudos