ArcGIS Explorer Offline Maps

04-15-2019 03:20 PM
JeremiahWilson
New Contributor III

I'm building a Mobile Map Package (.mmpk) to use in ArcGIS explorer because we need to be able to access the map when internet connection is spotty. I've authored the mmpk fine, and it shows up, but when I download it the mmpk appears to be on the device, but I can't access it. I refresh or reload the app and the mmpk has disappeared from my device.

I have a webmap of the same data that works just fine, but again, the issue is the people using it may not have cell service in the area they project is in. Has anyone else had this issue, and is there a simple workaround/fix?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeremiah,

Can you describe the problem a bit more...

What device are you using?

Do you see the download complete?

Does it disappear at this point?

Can you share the MMPK with me (so I can give it a try)?

Thanks,
Mark

0 Kudos
JeremiahWilson
New Contributor III

Mark,

I'm using an Android (two different ones) one is a first version Google Pixel and the other is a Samsung J3

The download starts, completes, and shows as being on the device, but when I try to open it, nothing happens. I refresh the screen and it says the mmpk isn't on my device and redownloads.

If I close and restart the app, the mmpk shows as being on the device, but when I try to open it, it prompts for a download and cycles to the above scenario.

It only disappears when I refresh the app screen.

I can't share the mmpk due to contractual reasons, but I can create a mmpk that I can share to see if the issue can be replicated again the above information isn't enough.

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Search for "RedlandsTest"  then download and open.

Confirm it works or does not..  it should work.

0 Kudos
JeremiahWilson
New Contributor III

That one works which leads me to believe there may have been an issue in the creation of the map package. I'll try and re-distribute it to my account and see if the issue persists.

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

It may be a layer or 'element' in your map that is not being dealt with correctly when the map try to load.

Did you add a Locator (new type for Pro 2.3) or tile package TPKX (another new type for Pro 2.3)

It should return a mobile map package version error.  These layer types are not supported in the current release of Explorer.   Use the older version of each for  now  "Create Address locator" output and the TPK.

0 Kudos
JeremiahWilson
New Contributor III

I believe I used a vector tile and tile package to display the vector and raster features, but no locators. And yes, I'm using ArcGIS Pro 2.3. If that's the issue is that for explorer across all mobile platforms or just android? I know Apple/Android versions get released differently.

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

A TPK is fine... in Pro 2.3 you also have an option for creating a TPKX and that is not supported in any released version of Explorer at this time.

My thought is that it will be specific to a layer in your map.  I would package "each layer individually" (or a few depending on how many layers you have in the map) to try and narrow down the cause.

0 Kudos
JeremiahWilson
New Contributor III

I'll give that a try and see if I configured something to be packaged as a tpkx like you suggested, thanks!

0 Kudos