npm errors on client install

08-03-2021 11:54 AM
CassKalinski
Occasional Contributor

I downloaded the developer's edition of Experience Builder this morning. The server side install went fine. When I went to execute the client npm ci, I got a list of deprecation errors from npm. (Screen shot attached.)

Ran this with node 14.15.4. Upgraded to 14.17.4 and had the same results.

Client seems to start fine.

Are these errors 'normal'? Should I apply the npm audit fix or fix --force?

I am new to node.js as well as Experience Builder, so suspect I am just missing something.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DrVSSKiran
Occasional Contributor II

Try to run npm from folder where your package.json is located. 

0 Kudos
CassKalinski
Occasional Contributor

Hi DrVSSKiran, that I did. Per the install instructions, I cd to the client folder and ran npm ci. There is a package.json in that folder.

0 Kudos
DrVSSKiran

Try to uninstall the depricated packages and run again.

0 Kudos
CassKalinski
Occasional Contributor

I have to wonder why would I be getting errors like this off a fresh install, using Esri's own packaging?

0 Kudos
CourtneyMenikheim
Occasional Contributor

npm is short for node package manager
Experience Builder uses a lot of node packages, a number of which are probably imported from outside Esri. Those packages could have any number of other node packages as dependencies, and so on. It's not uncommon when working with node. That's why the package manager has a built-in audit process and way to repair it.

Courtney Menikheim | Application Developer | @thecmenikheim
0 Kudos
DrVSSKiran

Try to do fresh install and run the npm package again. If you find the depricated packages uninstall it. Use the package manager to perform audit the packages and fix it. 

0 Kudos
CassKalinski
Occasional Contributor

Understood on npm. Like pip with Python modules then. It just seems very odd that the packages EB is has listed in its package.json is throwing this kind of mess out there.

I did run the audit fix as suggested. Even worse results. I am going to tear out node.js and EB and try this again from scratch.

0 Kudos
CourtneyMenikheim
Occasional Contributor

I ran npm audit fix and that seemed to work.

Courtney Menikheim | Application Developer | @thecmenikheim
0 Kudos
CassKalinski
Occasional Contributor

Follow up on this.

So far we have loaded EB on five different machines (four WIN10, one wimpy WIN2012 Server). Only the old server installed successfully the first go. 'npm audit' fix did not help. Uninstalls/reinstalls of the full stack (EB and node), including scrubbing all files and directories, helped on one machine. Did not on a three others. Re-running npm ci for the client helped in a couple cases. It did an uninstall/install. 

Also having issues with EB remembering prior experiences and displaying them on subsequent log-ins. (Considering another post on that.) 

Frustrating. Seriously considering going back to App Builder until this things matures properly.