Elevation Profile Widget - Create Profile Over Multiple Elevation Surfaces in the Same Graph

Jump to solution
02-01-2023 02:00 PM
iHack
by
New Contributor III

I have multiple elevation surfaces including an elevation ground  surface layer and two other raster layers containing groundwater surface elevation values under different scenarios.  I would like to create a stacked profile similar to how the Stack Profile 3D Analyst GP tool works in ArcGIS Pro.  It seems that the Elevation Profile widget in Experience Builder as well as in the Exploratory 3D Analysis Elevation Profile tool in ArcGIS Pro is limited to only displaying one layer at a time in the profile graph.  Is there a way to show multiple elevation surfaces in a single Elevation Profile graph [on the same axis] using this widget or by any other method in Experience Builder or the Elevation Profile Exploratory Analysis Tool in ArcGIS Pro?

This is how the tool currently looks with only one elevation surface layer (ground surface elevation)

iHack_1-1675288652765.png

I would like to produce something like this

iHack_2-1675288789426.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @iHack ,

Thank you for your question.

Right now, you can achieve something similar to this with selected line features on the map. You'll need to enable the advanced settings in the configuration a profile will be shown for selected lines accross different layers.

AlixVezina_1-1675297139696.png AlixVezina_2-1675297411019.png

In the upcoming update, we are also going to support Mesh layers along with other volumetric objects. Like in this sample.

There can only be one layer defined as ground, so your other elevation layers would need to be a Mesh or Scene Layer. Now, we're not planning to support multiple "stacked" Scene/Mes layers. They're going to be combined into one representation.

Which means you will only be able to represent the ground elevation profile with only one of your groundwater surfaces at the time.

Another option, but not optimal, is to add the Elevation profile widget multiple times and to change which elevation layer is used (use your groundwater surface elevation layers instead) so it can be compared between widgets.

AlixVezina_0-1675297064251.png

View solution in original post

17 Replies
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @iHack ,

Thank you for your question.

Right now, you can achieve something similar to this with selected line features on the map. You'll need to enable the advanced settings in the configuration a profile will be shown for selected lines accross different layers.

AlixVezina_1-1675297139696.png AlixVezina_2-1675297411019.png

In the upcoming update, we are also going to support Mesh layers along with other volumetric objects. Like in this sample.

There can only be one layer defined as ground, so your other elevation layers would need to be a Mesh or Scene Layer. Now, we're not planning to support multiple "stacked" Scene/Mes layers. They're going to be combined into one representation.

Which means you will only be able to represent the ground elevation profile with only one of your groundwater surfaces at the time.

Another option, but not optimal, is to add the Elevation profile widget multiple times and to change which elevation layer is used (use your groundwater surface elevation layers instead) so it can be compared between widgets.

AlixVezina_0-1675297064251.png

iHack
by
New Contributor III

@AlixVezina , thank you for responding.  The first solution you mentioned may not be ideal for what I'm trying to do.  I would like to have a single line selected, with multiple elevation surface layers in the profile graph.  I assume this would only be for selecting an existing line; not interactively drawing a line using the widget.

When is the next update expected to be released?  In this update, would I be able to switch between each 3D mesh or scene layer from the same widget?

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

"I would like to have a single line selected, with multiple elevation surface layers in the profile graph."

- That will not be possible, only elevation surface layer at the time: 1 ground layer + 1 mesh/scene layer. Like here: sample.

"I assume this would only be for selecting an existing line; not interactively drawing a line using the widget."

- Both. If there are line features in the map as well, you can select them and it will show the ground elevation profile, the mesh profile and then the profile for that selected line if Advanced settings are enabled.

"When is the next update expected to be released?" 

- End of February for ArcGIS Online.

"In this update, would I be able to switch between each 3D mesh or scene layer from the same widget?"

- No. Only one 3D mesh or scene layer per widget. Example (note this is still a work in progress and display is a little off):

AlixVezina_0-1675360056258.png 

There are 3 sources of elevation here:

• The ground elevation (brown) - use the default or define your own
  • The mesh buildings layer (pink) - this would need to be your groundwater surface elevation scene layer
  • The line feature layer with elevation values (red) - this is the selected line to render this graph
AndrewGohF3
New Contributor

Unfortunately I am unable to find the "advanced setting" tick box in my arcgis online experience builder.

I also need to display multiple profiles on the same line, but currently restricted to only a single profile.

Can you please advise?

Screenshot 2023-08-06 205351.jpg

0 Kudos
ChungBuiMinh
New Contributor II

Hi @AndrewGohF3 , I got the same issue and still waiting solution from Esri.

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

In the latest June update, the "Advanced settings" section was updated to reflect two sections: Selectable Layers and Intersecting Layers.

AlixVezina_0-1691414398971.png

Under Profile settings, you can configure the ground elevation profile layer and enable the profile for scene and mesh layers

Enable the selectable layer to select line features on your map to view their profile along the ground or relative to the ground.

Enable intersecting layers to view where features intersect with the profile you generated by drawing or selecting features.

What kind of data are you working with and what are you trying to visualize?

0 Kudos
MaryElizabethMcQuillan
New Contributor

This allow export setting does not show for my widget in experience builder. 

MaryElizabethMcQuillan_0-1703000871393.png

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @MaryElizabethMcQuillan, since this was released with ArcGIS Online in June, you will not see this option if are you in ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1 or earlier.

0 Kudos
ChungBuiMinh
New Contributor II

Hi @AlixVezina, I really want to know do you guys have any updates for the issue. Because we need to show it on the profile online too. Only Arcgis Pro can do this. And I've already tried Experice Builder but it's quite slow.

ef117c35fdb62ee877a7.jpg

0 Kudos